Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toshiba Disc Drive Issue

Options
  • 16-07-2013 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hello. I purchased a Toshiba Satellite L750-201 last summer with Windows 7 installed. Everything worked well with it and I was also given a discount on Windows 8 when it was released. Anyway, the disc drive worked fine but at some point, it stopped working. The only indicator that I can give is that I discovered it after I installed Windows 8. It doesn't play anything, whether it be a CD or a DVD.

Anyway, I quickly searched online and I can't seem to find the disc driver for this particular make and model of computer. Could anybody help me out with coming to some sort of a solution? Will I need to replace the entire disc drive or can I get away with just a simple (un)installation? My laptop is insured but I'm unsure about the warranty. Thanks for reading.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Thanks for the reply sugarman. The exclamation mark yellow triangle is there but when I tried to update, I'm told that it's already up to date, and the ! triangle remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭johneire31

You laptop components are not fully compatible with the new Win 8 operating system, however, that does not mean that you can not get them to work, but nothing is straight forward. If I was you I would go back to Win 7 and save yourself some grief. But I don't think you can uninstall a win 8 installation and end up with win 7, you would have to back up your files and clean install Win 7. This kind of stuff is not all that expensive .to have done for you if your not sure what your doing

You should firstly go to your manufacturer website, go to driver section for your exact laptop and download the drivers for your system for the components that are marked with yellow triangle. You probably won't see drivers for Win 8 but download the Win 7 and try and install them to see what happens. If that does not work, try again but this time right click on installation file and select 'compatibility mode' from drop down menu. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

If all else fail and you don't want to go back to win 7 bring it to somebody who can modify and existing driver for you to get the components working

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Cheers john. Anyway, it seems like I somehow managed to fix the issue. I checked Toshiba's support website and I was taken to a Virtual Help Desk. I described my problem and it came up with an automated solution. I had to uninstall some old pieces of disc-related software and reboot. My laptop was then able to actually recognise discs! The issue then however was that Windows 8 doesn't have a dedicated DVD player included. Anyway, I've installed VLC's DVD player and everything appears to be working fine.:D

Does anybody have any recommendations for a good DVD player for Windows 8? VLC is fine and it's free but would anybody vouch for a particularly good (and preferably free) DVD player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

VLC is about the best one out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭johneire31

excollier wrote: »
    VLC is about the best one out there.

I second that

• Advertisement
Advertisement