Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live, work Citywest

Options
  • 16-07-2013 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi does anyone know how bad the traffic on the M50 is to Citywest from the Sandyford area in the morning or would Templeogue be a safer bet to live in to get to Citywest at rush hour?

Alternatively is there anything said for living in Citywest itself. if anyone has any experience to share that would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Why not get the LUAS from Sandyford via City Centre to City West (using both Green & Red Lines)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Why not get the LUAS from Sandyford via City Centre to City West (using both Green & Red Lines)

And take 20 minutes to get to the city, 10-15 minutes walking/waiting and another 40 minutes to get to Citywest??????

That is madness!

OP best option would be the Templeogue area - you will be going against the traffic flow and it's a nice area to live in too!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

65/65b times arent great!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lilt

Thanks for the advice guys.

I will be driving so just looking at driving times and traffic. Is it quiet going into Citywest from the Blessington road side in the mornning? I would have thought it would be busy enough given the size of the industrial area?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Given the OP is asking about the M50, I can assume that he/she is driving, so Templeogue would be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

lilt wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I will be driving so just looking at driving times and traffic. Is it quiet going into Citywest from the Blessington road side in the mornning? I would have thought it would be busy enough given the size of the industrial area?

You could live in lots of places that are a 20 min drive away. We live in Leixlip and my wife works there. 15-20 mins typically, but you would have a lot of choice.

Try to avoid the N7 heading towards the city and also the outer ring road can be very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Templeogue is a nice fairly quiet settled area, but morning traffic towards City-West can be slow but steady during school terms.
    Why not consider somewhere in City West, most likely you would then be able to walk it in less time than it would take driving from anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

this is completely off topic but i do want to ask,

is this new job in citywest a call centre job ? for which company ?

might seem weird asking but i do have a good genuine reason for asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭SeanW

lxflyer wrote: »
    And take 20 minutes to get to the city, 10-15 minutes walking/waiting and another 40 minutes to get to Citywest??????

That is madness!

OP best option would be the Templeogue area - you will be going against the traffic flow and it's a nice area to live in too!
    Plus theres the appearance that the Citywest branch of the Red line in ruled by scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Would you not just live in Citywest? No commuting, no wasted time, no excessive commute costs...
    Is there a specific reason you are only looking at the two areas mentioned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Would you not just live in Citywest? No commuting, no wasted time, no excessive commute costs...
    Is there a specific reason you are only looking at the two areas mentioned?

After 5:30pm there is more or less nothing and no-one in Citywest. It's like the IFSC, only worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭phili_g

I worked in Citywest for about 6 years and for all bar the first 3 months I lived in Rathmines or Harold's Cross.

I lived in Citywest itself for the first 3 months as I didn't have a car and really wouldn't recommend it. There's just nothing to do out there, this was before the shopping centre or LUAS were built but can't imagine it's improved a huge amount. I suppose for a quite life you could live in Saggart or Rathcoole but that wouldn't be for me.

I moved to Rathmines and got the 65B until I got a car, the bus is pretty slow but was much happier living somewhere nice and commuting than walking to work and being bored out of my mind in the evening.

The commute from the south of the city is fine because all of the traffic is coming in to the city in the morning when you're leaving it, and vice versa in the evening. Commute from Rathmines was generally 25-30 minutes in the morning, maybe a little bit longer in the evening depending on traffic. There are actually multiple ways to get to Citywest from Rathmines area, you can go along the canal to Inchicore and take N7 Naas Road (not the most direct on map but I always found it the quickest) or follow the N81 through Rathgar, Terenure, Templeogue (all of which would be nice to live in). After this there are numerous other routes, like cutting through Walkinstown into Ballymount and on to the N7 (handy if you lived somewhere like Kimmage) or through Kilnamanagh / Cookstown.

If you really wanted to live near the LUAS then somewhere around Kilmainham would get my vote, although I reckon D6 is the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lilt

Thanks this all really helps.

I am looking at anywhere really, not just the areas mentioned in my original post.

The reason I am not keen on Citywest to live is I heard there is not much to do there?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Dublin25

It depends on what you are looking for in an area to live. There is the shopping centre, 2 gyms and lesiure centres close by, few restaurants nearby too. Having the Luas on the doorstep is great for accessing town, takes about 45mins.
    Admittedly it is a quiet area esp at weekends with no traffic from the estate, but i've been here 3yrs now and have grown to love the area.

I don't work in the industrial estate, but do see heavy volumes coming out every evening from 5pm onwards, out both ways too (n7 & n81). N7 traffic in the morning outbound can be relatively heavy but majority you are going against the traffic out of the city.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 78,276 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Any time I have been near Citywest at rush hour, traffic has been appalling getting in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dublin25 wrote: »
    It depends on what you are looking for in an area to live. There is the shopping centre, 2 gyms and lesiure centres close by, few restaurants nearby too. Having the Luas on the doorstep is great for accessing town, takes about 45mins.
    Admittedly it is a quiet area esp at weekends with no traffic from the estate, but i've been here 3yrs now and have grown to love the area.

I don't work in the industrial estate, but do see heavy volumes coming out every evening from 5pm onwards, out both ways too (n7 & n81). N7 traffic in the morning outbound can be relatively heavy but majority you are going against the traffic out of the city.

Good Luck

Good summation

Advertisement