Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aircraft Systems

Options
  • 16-07-2013 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just wondering could people who are presently studying this course or have done in the past tell me a little about it.
    Have most students on this course got prior experience of aircraft or are you taught from scratch?
    What are the toughest modules?
    Are there many mature students on the course?
    Also, I saw in the video on youtube that there is an internship in the second year with Aer Lingus or Ryanair, are these internships limited to the few with the best exam results or does everyone get a placement? Are there any places with other companies such as Aer Arann, Dublin Aerospace etc.

What are the employment opportunities like at the end of the course, I presume you wouldn't have enough practical hours attained to sit the licence exams at that stage, do companies allow you to intern (work for free) to gain the hours necessary to get the licence, or are you in a bit of a no mans land?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

bheart65 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Just wondering could people who are presently studying this course or have done in the past tell me a little about it.
    Have most students on this course got prior experience of aircraft or are you taught from scratch?
    What are the toughest modules?
    Are there many mature students on the course?
    Also, I saw in the video on youtube that there is an internship in the second year with Aer Lingus or Ryanair, are these internships limited to the few with the best exam results or does everyone get a placement? Are there any places with other companies such as Aer Arann, Dublin Aerospace etc.

What are the employment opportunities like at the end of the course, I presume you wouldn't have enough practical hours attained to sit the licence exams at that stage, do companies allow you to intern (work for free) to gain the hours necessary to get the licence, or are you in a bit of a no mans land?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Hey.

Currently going into third year, and I find that the course would be a good stepping stone into the aviation sector.

- Most of the students are starting off from scratch and it is quite tough, and although if some had prior experience in the type of work still probably they will find it difficult.

- From my experience the toughest modules/subjects would be most definitely the Physics and Digital Techniques. Some subjects like Technical Communications, Maintenance Practice and Materials & Hardware are a bit tedious; just alot of studying is needed for the latter 2 and they are the type of subjects that needed to be just learned off by heart due to the amount of stuff covered. I personally liked the electrical, maths and aviation based subjects. Practical subjects from what I gather wouldn't necessarily be that helpful, you are thought the very basic tasks. Although I figure you are expected to learn or gain knowledge of most of the practical side during placement.

- Currently in my year there are 3 mature students, but from what i seen it can vary quite a bit.

- The placements this year were based off the interview, EASA subjects and normal college work i believe.
    Students were given a choice of placements in the following companies:
    • Shannon Aerospace (Shannon)
    • Transaero (Shannon)
    • CHC Helicopters (Waterford)
    • Corjet (Madrid - 2 People)
    • Air Contractors (Scotland - No one took it i think)
    • Aer Corps

As far as i know they got people into Aer Arann and a few other places too before. More places could be added next year.

- Apparently the job prospects seem quite good, there seems to be a lack of qualified A, B1 and B2 (especially B2 in Ireland). Hours are worked out that you need to be in roughly 95% of the time to get the required amount of practical hours needed to get your licence and exams are sat every semester (Jan&May).

Hope this helps, and I am not currently sitting the EASA exams. I have other plans after the course to get my "dream" job. :)

b757

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bheart65

Thanks a million, b757, for the very informative and in-depth reply. There seems to be plenty of placement opportunities so. Sounds like it can be a quite tough, I'd need to knuckle down! Best of luck for this year and for finding that "dream" job, thanks again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Going into 2nd year myself.

No experience from me, learning from scratch.

Toughest subject I found in 1st year was Electronic Fundamentals

Couple of mature students in my year. I'd count myself as half a one as I'd been to college before this, but wasn't 23 when I started.

Work experience is based on number of EASA modules passed, house exam results, attendance, attitude etc...
    Think there are about 10 places? We're being told they're looking for more.

You need to attend 95% of lectures to get your certificate of completion for EASA, then you need to get a job in a company and gain the practical hours yourself to apply for the licence.

If you put the work in it's not that tough I've found. But it's not the type of course you can wing, ie, you can't show up a few times a week hoping to scrape 40%.

Thanks Artanevilla for your reply. I'm a bit older than 23 though, I'm 37 and need to get some skills to try and get a job. I might be a bit too old, it's been 20 years since I did my Leaving:eek:

I wouldn't mind the full-on attendance required, I was more concerned about there being jobs at the end of the course and if everyone was able to get placements in year 2. With only 10 are getting placements, how many of your year will be left out? How hard is it to get jobs at the end of the course to gain your practical hours, are they paid jobs or would they be unpaid internships? (trying to budget my finances)

Also, is it a full weeks timetable, any late nights etc. for labs, tutorials etc. as I'd be commuting - hour and a half away. Are the practical subjects taught from scratch too, metalwork wasn't available in my school when I did my Leaving, so I wouldn't be too familiar with lathes etc.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Couple of lads in their late 20s early 30s.

I'd say about 10-12 will miss out, but a few of them wouldn't be doing EASA's anyway.

Latest you'll be in is 5pm, second half of the year it was more or less 9-5 every day, think with one half day, few more free periods in the first semester.

It's about 50% lectures/50% labs. All from scratch, I'd no metalwork experience myself, the lecturers are very helpful though, you'll have no problem there.

As for work at the end, it's a growing industry with high demand, but as with a lot of things it can be hard for graduates to find work, the summer work will stand you in good stead though. There was a guy in who was a graduate of the course, he works for Ryanair in Germany, I've heard his pay isn't great though. Otherwise, I don't really know too much, like everything in this climate you can't guarantee anything. You would have an engineering degree though, with options for further education.

• Advertisement

That sounds spot on. I suppose there's no guarantees in the current climate. Here's hoping I get an offer, thanks for all your help and best of luck in your future career.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Seanie175

i also have aircraft systems down and hope to get it , I did not study Physics for my leaving nor did I do higher level maths, will this effect me much with the maths and physics modules?

I didn't do higher level maths, and when I started I hadn't done any Maths for about 4 years but it was fine. Physics is pretty much LC level, easy enough for me cause I'd done physics, but shouldn't be a problem once you put the work in, fairly straightforward stuff.

would the maths and physics be much the same in aircraft systems as apposed to the level 8 aerospace engineering in carlow.. I am between two minds and am unsure which course will benifit me the most for the future..

Its the same course, just the Level 8 has the extra year with extra subjects. Everything else is exactly the same.

• Advertisement

so it would be alot better if i done the level 8 course? they say there are places for internship aswell as doing your easa exams , but there is no talk of it in the level 8 ? should this matter

I'm 99% sure that its the same for the 3 years and that EASA's are still covered.

I doubt it should matter to be honest; everything is covered, same amount of hours done, practical subjects are done. It is just the 4th year that is added.

Give them a email and see, would be the best thing to do.

I asked about this last year, I think that with the extra year in college, you miss out on the practical hours needed for you licence, as you've only a certain amount of time to complete the hours before you've to sit EASA's again.

I'm not sure though, so do ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ollieyeah

Doing the course now, great course, be prepared to study!! hard placements will go to higher end students

Advertisement