Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ventilation Regs:MVHR: Stoves

Options
  • 16-07-2013 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

If I fit a room sealed stove (with its own external air supply via the floor and foundation) and have MVHR is any further ventilation required for the room for the stove according to the regs?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

does the manufacturer require cooling air? RTFM
    The regulations will not specify for specific appliances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

My question has nothing to do with te applianc. If you have no MVHR in a house then by the regs you require a vent in any room with a stove or other fuel burning device?

Obviously with MVHR installed and high airtightness you can't have a vent in the wall so I am just questioning what you do instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

john_cappa wrote: »
    My question has nothing to do with te applianc. If you have no MVHR in a house then by the regs you require a vent in any room with a stove or other fuel burning device?

Obviously with MVHR installed and high airtightness you can't have a vent in the wall so I am just questioning what you do instead?

What ever you need to know is here

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1650,en.pdf

Your installer or architect should be able to answer that question fit you is that why they get the big bucks

Robbie.G wrote: »
    What ever you need to know is here

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1650,en.pdf

Your installer or architect should be able to answer that question fit you is that why they get the big bucks

I am sure it is (did they even have MVHR in 1997?) but I am hoping someone can give me a simple two line answer.

I am sure it is (did they even have MVHR in 1997?) but I am hoping someone can give me a simple two line answer.

The simple answer is a stove must have a vent.The rooms needs a min of 6500sqmm ventilation.The building regs might be from 1997 but they are the regs.
    MVHR systems are not designed to provide combustion air. Where open flue appliances are installed permanent dedicated combustion air supply is required.
    Note: The pressure differences within MVHR can easily exceed those within an open-flued appliance. This extends to fan-flued biomass and other solid fuel appliances; although the fan will probably be sufficient to overcome any pressure discrepancies when operational, upon switching off the fan the smouldering fire bed may be reignited and/or spill into the room because of the pressure difference caused by the MVHR.
    Does your stove comply with building regs I can't answer that only the manufacturer can.

• Advertisement

The stove will be room sealed and have its own dedicated external air supply so will not need a vent to provide combustible air.

If a vent is required how can people with MVHR achieve air tightness to make it actually worthwhile?

The stove will be room sealed and have its own dedicated external air supply so will not need a vent to provide combustible air.

If a vent is required how can people with MVHR achieve air tightness to make it actually worthwhile?

Have a look here you might find what your looking for.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056869471

Combustion air is directly from outside (room sealed boiler) so the manufacturers instructions are vital, check in it under cooling air etc.
    If your MVHR supplies as per building regs (as it should) see Part F for details, and the MI say no extra cooling air is required, then it's fine.

Simple answer
    2 lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

DGOBS wrote: »
    Combustion air is directly from outside (room sealed boiler) so the manufacturers instructions are vital, check in it under cooling air etc.
    If your MVHR supplies as per building regs (as it should) see Part F for details, and the MI say no extra cooling air is required, then it's fine.

Simple answer
    2 lines

Are we not talking about a stove here & not a boiler therefore stove will not require cooling air, only air for combustion through it's balanced flue.

any appliance may require cooling air, thats why I said check the MI, most likely they will say no, not required or not mention it at all except for air gaps to combustable materials for offset (hearth) types

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dathi

TGD part J 1.2 each appliance should be (a) room sealed or (b) contained in a room or space which has a permanent ventilation opening. there is your two line answer;)

Advertisement