Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Static IP from router

Options
  • 16-07-2013 8:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

As title. My router, a Netgear WGR614v10 won't allow me to reserve static IP addresses for connected devices, I get a "404 Not Found. The resource you have requested is not available".
    Any ideas what is wrong anyone, please?
    I am using Linux Mint Debian (and other Linux operating systems) and Windows Vista and Firefox / Chrome / Chromium browsers. No difference so it must be the router I guess.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Should be possible .. are you sure you're reserving IP addresses in the same subnet as the one the router is in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

excollier wrote: »
    As title. My router, a Netgear WGR614v10 won't allow me to reserve static IP addresses for connected devices, I get a "404 Not Found. The resource you have requested is not available".
    Any ideas what is wrong anyone, please?
    I am using Linux Mint Debian (and other Linux operating systems) and Windows Vista and Firefox / Chrome / Chromium browsers. No difference so it must be the router I guess.

Can you post a screenshot of your current router config?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Alun wrote: »
    Should be possible .. are you sure you're reserving IP addresses in the same subnet as the one the router is in?
    I cannot even get to reserve an address - I get the above 404 message when I click on "Add" in the reserve address section

First thing I would do is change the DHCP server config. Currently its range starts at 192.168.1.2 and ends at 192.168.2.254, throttle the second field down to 200, leaving you with 54 addresses which can be reserved, without being given out by the DHCP server.

That alone may fix your problem. I can't be sure, because I could not see the URL in the address bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Just set static ip on the devices

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    First thing I would do is change the DHCP server config. Currently its range starts at 192.168.1.2 and ends at 192.168.2.254, throttle the second field down to 200, leaving you with 54 addresses which can be reserved, without being given out by the DHCP server.

That alone may fix your problem. I can't be sure, because I could not see the URL in the address bar.
    If he wants the DHCP server to hand out reserved addresses then those addresses must be within the range covered by the DHCP server. The only reason to restrict the range of the DHCP server like that would be if he wanted to assign hard static addresses on his clients.

Strange ... could that first screen just be a cached page? Try hitting Ctrl-F5 when you go to the routers config page before going any further.

Just set static ip on the devices
    He could do that, but it's less easy to manage especially if he has lots of attached devices.

Alun wrote: »
    If he wants the DHCP server to hand out reserved addresses then those addresses must be within the range covered by the DHCP server. The only reason to restrict the range of the DHCP server like that would be if he wanted to assign hard static addresses on his clients.

Thats a good point. I wasn't thinking about the DHCP handing out the reserved addresses. I was thinking he would just set static IPs on each device.

I should be able to reserve addresses from that page, but no -go. It's not vitally important, as I have only potentially 6 devices, but i would like to reserve one for my Raspberry Pi as it runs headless, but it's not a problem, just confusing as to why it won't work. Perhaps a firmware update?
    Anyway, thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

• Advertisement

A firmware update is always a good idea if there's one available. Give it a try.

I have backed up the router's config file, but as it is working otherwise ok. I'm not going to risk messing it up, I can live with the minor inconvenience.

Advertisement