Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DB Management / SQL Course

Options
  • 15-07-2013 9:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, I've recently acquired myself a DBA role. But, I'm what you would call inexperienced. :)

I'm looking for recommendations on what would be the best course to do that would best get me up to speed on database management. After a bit of browsing I think a part time degree course may be a bit too broad, and may not even touch upon databases for months.

Would Microsoft certification be best? I'm also thinking long term, what qualifications are ideal for a DBA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are you working with (and intend to continue working with) MSSQL? And by DBA, are you working more with databases (design) or maintaining the database engine?

The SQL 2012 MCSA is a decent catch-all for MS SQL but if you're using a different system, its basically worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Media999

I was looking at this one recently. Does anyone have an opinion on it?

MySQL Database Administrator Certification Discount Package (Self-Study)
    http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=649&p_org_id=27&get_params=pkgId:D75789_PKG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

MYOB wrote: »
    Are you working with (and intend to continue working with) MSSQL? And by DBA, are you working more with databases (design) or maintaining the database engine?

The SQL 2012 MCSA is a decent catch-all for MS SQL but if you're using a different system, its basically worthless.

Hey, sorry, thought I'd already replied to you. I'd predominantly be using SQL Server 2005, and the job would be geared more towards maintenance rather than design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

There are tons of SQL server 2005 admin videos on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Media999

JJJJNR wrote: »
    There are tons of SQL server 2005 admin videos on youtube.

Good point but you cant write "Watched a ton of youtube videos" on your CV. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hey, sorry, thought I'd already replied to you. I'd predominantly be using SQL Server 2005, and the job would be geared more towards maintenance rather than design.

There's still value in the 2008 SQL Implementation & Maintenance MCTS in that case - I don't think the 2005 one is still available, and having done both, the 2008 one was better anyway.

Microsoft Press book for it is riddled with errors, but there is a lengthy errata on their website.

Advertisement