Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Legs don't get sunburnt

Options
  • 15-07-2013 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

My bright white legs don't tan or burn. I'm a very white person so I'm very prone to burning everywhere else on my body.

I did some research and the main explanation seems to be that legs are slightly shaded and being verticle don't get as much sunlight.

But I don't know that that can fully explain it. I've gotten sunburned feet and the burn seems to stop at my ankle with absolutely no sign of sun further up the leg. I've sat in the sun with legs up and no reaction.

So I'm wondering is sun burn a reaction to the sun rather than the skin actually cooking? By reaction I mean the skin decides to burn so to speak rather than just cooks under the sun. Sort of in the same way an allergic reaction is the pollen causing a reaction in the nose rather than simply blocking the nasal cavity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Sun burn is a type of radiation burn which results from harsh UV light and can cause DNA mutations. No matter where the skin is, if it get enough UV light, it will burn.

But in terms of the lack of burning legs, consider the time of day. Was it in the evening when the UV light is less than it would be at 11am-3pm? Were you in the shade? Were you near water, glass etc?

Also, if you are sitting down, you may be shading your legs, but your feet stick out from under said shade so that might be one reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're particularly hairy, this will mitigate a lot of the danger. You'll probably feel too hot on your face or upper body and give in before your legs start to burn/tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Not particularly hairy on the legs.

I've never, ever been burnt or tanned on the legs though, in over 30 years. So we're talking about all times of day, in Irish temps all the way through to Las Vegas hoover dam temps. I got very badly burnt in Vegas, my head had puss coming out from it but still reflector white legs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sun burn is a type of radiation burn which results from harsh UV light and can cause DNA mutations.
    DNA comprises of four bases ATGC

UV can provide enough energy to cause two adjacent T's to bind together which isn't a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Mason Storm

So how much UV is too much?

• Advertisement
Advertisement