Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Six Types of Athiests

Options
  • 15-07-2013 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Well according to this Research there are six types of Athiests

1) Intellectual Atheist/Agnostic (IAA)
    2) Activist (AAA)
    3) Seeker-Agnostic (SA)
    4) Anti-Theist
    5) Non-Theist
    6) Ritual Atheist/Agnostic (RAA)

You can read their full definitions here:

http://www.atheismresearch.com/
    (it's a bit long to post the whole thing)

I know a lot of people around here don't like to pick a label, but don't you think its useful to know who you'd tend to agree with more within the Atheist community?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Nah I really dislike the idea of labeling yourself....I'm not even all that into the idea of being called an atheist - seems a bit too secular to me, I've felt for a long time that we all need to stop putting ourselves into buckets and look for the common ground rather then what separates us.

I feel through a number of years of religious education that I've been thought to be like that...to look at someone and immediately look for what's different, so anything I can do to get away from that is good.

I just like to think of it as I have my ideas (ideas that can be changed and developed and challenged without too much pain) on belief and that's enough for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I already put a lot of effort in labelling myself a weakly agnostic strong specific atheist, who is ignostic with regards to deism...

What the heck is a Ritual Atheist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Personally i see giving stronger definitions as just kinda handy. A shorthand to know how someone might feel about certain issues.

We're all called Atheists but some of us are more Anti-Theist and some driven primarily by secularism. It's just a handy way of being able to communicate whether you're interest might be on a particular issue.

I don't think it takes away from our individuality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Satanist! dun dun

Actually it could be, there's atheistic branches

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I know a lot of people around here don't like to pick a label, but don't you think its useful to know who you'd tend to agree with more within the Atheist community?

Agree with the awesome atheists. We're all awesome here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Nah I really dislike the idea of labeling yourself....I'm not even all that into the idea of being called an atheist - seems a bit too secular to me, I've felt for a long time that we all need to stop putting ourselves into buckets and look for the common ground rather then what separates us.

I feel through a number of years of religious education that I've been thought to be like that...to look at someone and immediately look for what's different, so anything I can do to get away from that is good.

I just like to think of it as I have my ideas (ideas that can be changed and developed and challenged without too much pain) on belief and that's enough for me :)
    Well, whether you like it or not, humans are very adept at recognising patterns and are all about categorising things. This isn't limited to social groups, it applies to absolutely everything. Inanimate objects , animals, wavelengths of light, subatomic particles, types of music - anything you can name can be classified based on certain common characteristics and placed within at least one recognisable category. If you listen extensively to punk music, have a big spiky green mohawk and wear studded leather, you can be pretty safely called a punk. If you believe Jesus Christ rose from the dead and was the living incarnation of God on earth, then you're a Christian. And if you have an interest in popular science, attend atheist conventions, and frequently engage in online debates about religious and secular matters, then I suppose you fall into the bracket of New Atheist, as I (perhaps incorrectly) understand the term.

You don't have to be defined as a person by these terms, and they tend to describe only certain facets of a person as a whole. I can also understand the concern that placing a label on everyone could encourage divisiveness. But really, if you tick certain boxes related to a certain label then you can realistically be categoriesed as such, whether this appeals to you or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

What about militant atheists?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Already a category for those, one containing unicorns, the loch Ness monster and god.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Viper_JB wrote: »
    I'm not even all that into the idea of being called an atheist - seems a bit too secular to me

:confused:

• Moderators Posts: 51,738 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

How do you define militant atheist? What must an atheist do for you to consider them a militant atheist?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Well that pet term is covered by anti-theist, with a bit of activist thrown in. I think anti-theist is a more accurate label as well since it seems that the level of activism required for atheism to earn the "militant" badge is significantly lower than other ideologies, which tend to need to be, er, militant, to be described as such.

And more often than not, "militant atheist" it is not used as a useful descriptive term but as an intentional sly dig at atheists - a bit like calling conservative Christians "fundies -and it seems that people using it are spoiling for a fight rather than looking for a reasonable discussion. A bit like you're doing here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

koth wrote: »
    How do you define militant atheist? What must an atheist do for you to consider them a militant atheist?

Snazzy uniform

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

This was a really stupid study. Are we suppose to dislike each other now we can split into nice little groups?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    This was a really stupid study. Are we suppose to dislike each other now we can split into nice little groups?

No, the study's a work of genius! The only way for the groups to appease with one another is through the trading of biscuits and other culinary delights. :D
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Snazzy uniform

Definitely Khaki boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kiffer wrote: »
    What the heck is a Ritual Atheist?
    One who goes to the pub every week instead of just every now and again.

And who dunks their biscuits exactly two times and no more than half way each time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Actively disregard/dislike/have no time for any kind of religion.
    At least, that's what I assume a militant atheist to be and consider myself one of those.
    Course it could all be delusion on my part.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Actively disregard/dislike/have no time for any kind of religion.
    At least, that's what I assume a militant atheist to be and consider myself one of those.
    Course it could all be delusion on my part.... ;)

I think i remember Dawkins doing a TED talk a few years ago called titled Militant Atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Jernal wrote: »
    Definitely Khinki boots.

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

A militant atheist is like an in-your-face-gay or a radical-feminist: People who need to be demeaned and belittled until they are shamed into silent adherence to the ruling social mores.

A militant atheist is an atheist you don't like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Popinjay wrote: »
    fyp
    :D
    Was about to say shiny boots of leather in reply to khaki boots (Khaki, *spits up a little in mouth, ew*).

• Advertisement
Advertisement