Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comptia A+, Network+, Security+

Options
  • 15-07-2013 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭

I got 3 MCP certificates some years back in Windows XP and Windows 2003 server. I never actually worked in that area but am currently unemployed and looking to give it another go.

I've noticed on the FAS website that they are offering online courses in Comptia A+, Network+, and Security+. Are these what people are taking now instead of MCP certs? Are they decent certifications to have? I'm going to call into my FAS office tomorrow and ask to be put on one. Do they have to be taken in a particular order? If not, what is the difference between the A+ and the Network+?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A+ is the most basic certification out there - I would consider an expired 2003 MCP to be superior to it - although they don't cover the same areas, it shows a higher level of IT knowledge. The XP MCP covers some similar ground.

Network+ and Security+ are more advanced (for a specific definition of more...) and are definitely worth a bit more than the A+. I'm pretty certain there's no requirement to have done a previous cert.

The Microsoft certifications still exist - indeed the CompTIA ones are about as old and at one point could count towards the old format MCSE - but its highly unlikely FAS will do these.

Advertisement