Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gpu gone :(

Options
  • 15-07-2013 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

My girlfriends laptop froze in and the sound wet funny last night then the screen ended up like this IMAG0507.jpg

IMAG0508.jpg

IMAG0509.jpg

I take it the gpu is gone possibly the screen. Its a Hp Pavillion dv9000 the gpu was either a nvidia 8400 or 8600 which I know were flawed from the start. Same thing happened to a vaio I had. Its well past the time to get it fixed by hp/nvidia so would there be any point in getting it fixed, would the cost be worth it or is it time to tell her to get a new one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Can you go into hardware devices and disable/uninstall the nvidea hardware, so the integrated graphics chip takes over? ( Right click my computer> Properties > Hardware > Device Manager ) Check that it's enabled, though when you restart it should automatically do so.

The gpu shouldn't affect sound.
    So it might actually be motherboard rather than the GPU.

Could also try updating the nvidea driver.

HP or nvidea won't fix it unless it's still in warranty, if there's any trustworthy shops nearby they should do so. You can talk about the cost beforehand.
    Mind, shops generally have a min charge of €60.
    __
    looking at the images, can you see anything at all when it turns on? or is the screen just gone?
    Because you mentioned sound going funny, my first instinct is that the motherboard is gone :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Cant do a thing thats all the screen shows the top starts white then kind of inks into black then white again. She isnt sure if she is ready to repair it again as this is the second time it happened

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

try connecting to a monitor/tv .. see if anything shows there? (if it does..means the screen is gone)

If it doesn't..it's probably the mobo. Replacing those can be costly ..they're about 150 new. A shop will charge quite a bit on top to replace. But they're not difficult to do so, if you were tempted to take it on yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Sorry should have said I tried connecting it to a monitor but didnt work. I think the laptop is working just no picture at all and that messed up looking screen.

Advertisement