Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen EDM fest

Options
  • 15-07-2013 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Creating this post to spark the discussion on EDM and what people think has happened to dance music over the past few years. Is Oxegen this year going to be all the over paid DJs playing the same big beatport top 10 over and over? You wouldnt catch me dead near the place this year. Where has the term EDM come from. Does it annoy other people as much as it annoys me?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

one word.. Sasha

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

Sasha made his feelings known via Twitter by saying: "Most EDM is made by douchebags for douchebags. Do i care if lots of douchebags buy it? Not really, But it pollutes."

This kinda sums it up really :pac:

Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

There is still a good lot of music being made today but unfortunately in Ireland we are lacking when it comes to other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭francois

The event has disaster written all over it. Guetta/Harris headliners, flames guaranteed to draw every scumbag in the country to neck 30 E's, sniff dodgy coke and get locked on ****e beer, then knife each other.
    At 11 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MickOLeary

http://www.spin.com/articles/daleri-epic-mashleg-interview/

Have a look at this. pretty funny EDM mash up where every song sounds the exact same. With MCD pretty much running EP tho is it not good that they attract all the riff raff to one location with Oxegen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Yo Mamma wrote: »
    This kinda sums it up really :pac:

Source

my commwent wasnt aimed at the edm side, i was saying sashas playing at oxygen, which is a good enough reason for me to go anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

copeyhagen wrote: »
    my commwent wasnt aimed at the edm side, i was saying sashas playing at oxygen, which is a good enough reason for me to go anyways!

I Know I got that, I was posting Sasha's sentiment on EDM as its pretty close to my feelings on the subject, it was just coincidence that you posted that .... ;)

Your gonna pay top top dollar for one dj? Sasha aint that good in my opinion but each to their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

MickOLeary wrote: »
    Your gonna pay top top dollar for one dj? Sasha aint that good in my opinion but each to their own!

To say "it's not my thing" or "I don't really like it/him/what he does" is one thing but referring to him not being good is hardly qualified. He can't have been pulling the wool over the eyes over thousands and thousands of clubbers, global DJ magazines/websites, all the people who bought his mix albums/ productions, etc. etc. for all these years. He has been doing it for a while now and steadily and consistently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

To say "it's not my thing" or "I don't really like it/him/what he does" is one thing but referring to him not being good is hardly qualified. He can't have been pulling the wool over the eyes over thousands and thousands of clubbers, global DJ magazines/websites, all the people who bought his mix albums/ productions, etc. etc. for all these years. He has been doing it for a while now and steadily and consistently.

You could use the same logic for Guetta and he sucks salty donkey balls.

• Advertisement

Youve contradicted yourself there. I said hes not that good in my opinion. and yeah the same could apply to David G or any other awful pop superstar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

It's a horribly misguided lineup, they'd have done better to have more diversity and pitch it to a wider demographic.

Most of the acts booked aren't even that big over here; they're massive draws in the UK but have bugger all in the way of a fanbase in Ireland, they get loads of airplay on BBC Radio 1 but bugger all exposure in Ireland, I can't imagine someone like Danny Byrd really packing the punters to the stage tbh.

If they'd put a bit more thought into the lineup and not just gone for the 18 year old market it could have been a decent dance music festival with the right brains behind it.

Anyone going to this needs their heads checked really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Gas seeing George Fitzgerald on that lineup, poor chap is in for a right treat.

Gas seeing George Fitzgerald on that lineup, poor chap is in for a right treat.

Sticks out like a sore thumb so it does. Is it just a mistake or is he starting to pitch himself towards the mainstream?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Really is a disgraceful amount of snobbery on here. If people enjoy music of a certain type who are any of us to tell them differently. Just because it's not super underground obscure stuff doesn't take away from people enjoying it. I don't get it. I've only recently started exploring the wide spectrum of dance music and everywhere I turn it's people belittling another sub genre and the people who listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

D.Q wrote: »
    Really is a disgraceful amount of snobbery on here. If people enjoy music of a certain type who are any of us to tell them differently. Just because it's not super underground obscure stuff doesn't take away from people enjoying it. I don't get it. I've only recently started exploring the wide spectrum of dance music and everywhere I turn it's people belittling another sub genre and the people who listen to it.

this forum and the drinking forum are the worst for it.

Go on to any forum that deals with specific genres and their sub-genres and you'll see people being opinionated about what they think is good or bad - it's not specific to dance music. And let's be honest, a lot of that EDM out there is utter bollocks. It's empty calories. And the line up for Oxegen is like trying to eat 28 happy meals in one setting - its sickeningly bad.

But if you like it there's no need to be getting upset about the fact that other people don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭circadian

What on Earth is EDM?

Isn't it a bit of a broad term for a genre? I'm pretty sure I'd consider Aphex Twin to fall under the term Electronic Dance Music just as much as David Guetta.

circadian wrote: »
    What on Earth is EDM?

Isn't it a bit of a broad term for a genre? I'm pretty sure I'd consider Aphex Twin to fall under the term Electronic Dance Music just as much as David Guetta.

It's a broad term that covers the sh¡t end of the spectrum. You wouldn't really be saying a sentence like 'I listen to a lot of EDM like Aphex Twin…' where as you would say 'I listen to a lot of EDM like Benny Benassi when I'm taking breaks from riding my sister.'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭circadian

So it's an idiots tag for idiots that don't realise that there's more to electronic music than the pish that's on the radio.

Great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

So it's an idiots tag for idiots that don't realise that there's more to electronic music than the pish that's on the radio.

Great.

I think it's fair to say that the main fans of EDM in terms of the generic stuff that's pumped out are people who have no previous experience of electronic music and are just getting into it. My tastes have vastly expanded from the first tracks that got me into dance music which were (a) M.A.R.R.S - Pump Up the Volme (still a cracker that one :D) and 2Unlimited - Are You Ready for This :o
    Over time in you begin to delve deeper and discover the hidden depth of dance music.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

mordeith wrote: »
    I think it's fair to say that the main fans of EDM in terms of the generic stuff that's pumped out are people who have no previous experience of electronic music and are just getting into it. My tastes have vastly expanded from the first tracks that got me into dance music which were (a) M.A.R.R.S - Pump Up the Volme (still a cracker that one :D) and 2Unlimited - Are You Ready for This :o
    Over time in you begin to delve deeper and discover the hidden depth of dance music.

That's true of any music style though. I'm only starting to get in to dance music in general recently, I was always more into my rock growing up, but I'm surprised at how vehemently people dismiss the mainstream gateway artists. And more so, dismiss the people that listen to it or enjoy it as idiots. Everyone has to start somewhere.

All these people who are so particular about their own little music taste just come across as so pretentious.

D.Q wrote: »
    That's true of any music style though. I'm only starting to get in to dance music in general recently, I was always more into my rock growing up, but I'm surprised at how vehemently people dismiss the mainstream gateway artists. And more so, dismiss the people that listen to it or enjoy it as idiots. Everyone has to start somewhere.

All these people who are so particular about their own little music taste just come across as so pretentious.

You can say pretentious or you can say passionate. I've used this analogy before but I'll use it again: mainstream dance music is like baby food, it does the job at the beginning but let's be honest it's mush and it's not very interesting and as you your interest grows and you start to explore what's out there and get to know the rich variety of sounds around and you develop a much more refined interest in it, it becomes more and more exciting to you. And anyone who just sticks to baby food's a fúcking idiot.

Also, don't get weepy about people not liking the same things as you. I love 'If you leave me now' by Chicago but I ain't going to have a nervous breakdown if someone else hates it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Plenty of people spend their lives listening to chart music, reading popular fiction and watching mainstream Hollywood movies. That doesn't make them idiots. They might be missing out on an interesting and enriching experience, but they're not lesser people because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Sticks out like a sore thumb so it does. Is it just a mistake or is he starting to pitch himself towards the mainstream?
    neither? :confused:
    they probably offered his agent the money, and the agent booked him for it as it's a dance music festival....him and other acts of his type play plenty of complete cheese-fests all over the world.
    there's a couple of other decent acts on there amongst the ****, same a a lot of "EDM" festivals these days...

neither? :confused:
    they probably offered his agent the money, and the agent booked him for it as it's a dance music festival....him and other acts of his type play plenty of complete cheese-fests all over the world.
    there's a couple of other decent acts on there amongst the ****, same a a lot of "EDM" festivals these days...

Im sure his agent researched the festival before it was booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

francois wrote: »
    guaranteed to draw every scumbag in the country to neck 30 E's, sniff dodgy coke and get locked on ****e beer, then knife each other At 11 in the morning.

Sounds a lot like the Asylum, but that had quality DJ's & Tunes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

We need to take it as a given that there will, until the end of eternity, be things that we do not like that a lot of other people do.

Is life really long enough to waste time being annoyed by something that is as inevitable as death and taxes, an absolute certainty?

Advertisement