Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

financial help for disability needs

Options
  • 15-07-2013 3:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I have been on disability since Christmas, suffering with severe hip and back problems after a fall. I've had dozens of epidurals, nerve blocks and operations. My bed is on its last legs and i genuinely can't afford to buy a new one. Can anyone advise if there is any state help available and if so, what. I don't want to go down the road of begging SVP for help because of the shame.

any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

Anyone? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

You could have a meeting with your local Community Welfare Officer and see if there was anything they could help you with or try the HSE Disability Section in your area. Link

hth

best of luck

Thanks neorocks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

am not in ireland but am going to take a guess at it being very difficiult getting anything off the state so just dont hold any hopes up.

have a look for a local 'rotary club', woud have had a look but do not know where are living exactly- http://www.rotary.ie/
    the rotary club can get the money together to buy the equipment it just takes a bit of time,and they only do the fund raising at certain points throughout the year but its really worth a look into.
    one of the lads am living with nearly had an ipad and proloquo2go fund raised for him by the RC [rotary club,not roman catholic church ;) ] back in the day they first came out but his mum had had a lump sum of money and used that instead to save the waiting,to be fair she shoud have used that anyway as many of us who are desperate for equipment are reliant on funding given to us.

also,just an idea have not looked yet,but the red cross give/loan all sorts of medical equipment eg, wheelchairs,comodes etc,have a look into them,have just though t of them because had been desperate for a wheelchair to get independance from being stuck in the car all the time but thankfuly had saved up for one along with some money given by dad.

Thanks scuffles. I really didn't want to go down the charity route but that looks like my only option at the moment. Thanks for the advice. A wheelchair will be needed in due course :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Thanks scuffles. I really didn't want to go down the charity route but that looks like my only option at the moment. Thanks for the advice. A wheelchair will be needed in due course :(

Your community OT will probably be able to get you get a wheelchair if you need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Maryanne40

I am trying to get rid of a double bed from a house my brother owns. It is just a regular bed- not a medical one but it is only about 2 years old. If you live anywhere in the Dublin area I could probably have it delivered to you if you want it. However it would have to be this week. Let me know.

Maryanne40 wrote: »
    I am trying to get rid of a double bed from a house my brother owns. It is just a regular bed- not a medical one but it is only about 2 years old. If you live anywhere in the Dublin area I could probably have it delivered to you if you want it. However it would have to be this week. Let me know.

wow, maryanne, thats very kind of you, but I'm living in cork, otherwise i'd happily accept

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭tomirs

Your Community Welfare Officer will help you if you apply for Exceptional Needs Payment , Bring picture off old bed ,information regarding for new bed including delivery ( price a few and show you are looking for the best value ) , Get a letter from your gp and your OT if you can as well it will help speed things up . Your OT can get you a wheelchair ask for a home visit to access your needs as they are now and what you might require at a later date . If you don't have an OT get your gp to refer you asap , you may also enquire about home help .
    Best off luck

Advertisement