Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't be that photographer who gets had.

Options
  • 14-07-2013 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭

Via Dublin Strobist Group on facebook (some of you may have already seen)

So, the point of posting here - With summer season in full swing and the lucky ones who may be visiting far off places (and even some near places), be careful as to your gear - a lens removed off the front of your camera while its around your neck? :eek: Holy flock batman!

Ok let's not get either overly paranoid or lulled into a false sense of security (somewhere in the middle is probably reasonable) but what are your tips for people away from familiar teritory?

A couple of ideas (feel free to correct, criticise, enhance, and please do add your own suggestions - the list not intended to be conclusive);
    • Try not end up in strange places on your own (see dude in the video). In all likelihood you'll look like the tourist that you will be, so minimise your likely exposure and vulnerability by having a little safety in numbers, and watch out for each other.
    • I'd suggest to only bring what is necessary for your shooting. Travel light where possible. If I do get away this year my thoughts at the moment are that I may only bring my 50mm 1.7 -- yes, it will limit possibilities but if i do get away it won't be a photography holiday so meh.... i'll have other stuff to do. If bringing more gear (yes, most probably will bring more than the 50mm), then maybe revisit what you will need when heading out from your accomodation (assuming your accomodation is safe).
    • Travel insurance. Have some. Have enough. Know your policy excess. Make sure your read all the print particularly regarding theft (small and large) to ensure you will be covered if the unthinkable happens. Know what to do if it does happen (requirements of copy police report, or otherwise). Have the contact numbers with you so you can make contact and get the insurance companies advice if it does happen.
    • Research the locations/areas you will visit before you go - trip advisor, lonely planet, google the area and include the term 'security' or 'tourist theft' or similar. You can get very good pointers online for visiting new areas.
    • Gear serial numbers. Take down the serial numbers of your gear. Tip: If you are too lazy then take photos of your gear with the serial number exposed on your phone (hope your phone doesn't get nicked at the same time :eek: If something happens and your gear does go astray from you, then post serials somewhere online in the hope that at some point in time in the future that someone may google your serial number and that they may see the gear was stolen (or lost perhaps) and some way of contacting you online. Then hope they may do the right thing. Chances are probably slim but I know before buying some 2nd hand gear previously on eBay I requested the serial number from the vendor. It wasn't forthcoming so I didn't buy.
    • Always try be aware of your surroundings. Develop that sixth sense of awareness. Here's a tip (not sure that it will work for everyone): When looking through your viewfinder, you can often keep an eye on whats happening behind you (and to a wider view) by the reflection on the camera's LCD - daytime obviously. Seriously, try it. You might be surprised as to what you can see happening. A bit like a rear view mirror. The technique is achieved by not having your eye completely up to/sealing the viewfinder - vary between up close and a little distance away. It also helps if you do the both eyes open thing. This might be an aquired taste but works for me.

Any other tips folks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Jesus Christ that was a very well planned robbery...

I have to admit, I'm always careful about my camera, but completely forgot you can just take off the lense :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

AnCatDubh wrote: »

[*]Gear serial numbers. Take down the serial numbers of your gear. Tip: If you are too lazy then take photos of your gear with the serial number exposed on your phone (hope your phone doesn't get nicked at the same time :eek: If something happens and your gear does go astray from you, then post serials somewhere online in the hope that at some point in time in the future that someone may google your serial number and that they may see the gear was stolen (or lost perhaps) and some way of contacting you online. Then hope they may do the right thing. Chances are probably slim but I know before buying some 2nd hand gear previously on eBay I requested the serial number from the vendor. It wasn't forthcoming so I didn't buy.

Here is a site for recording your gear info.
    https://www.lenstag.com/

Worthwhile even writing it down and taking a photo of it and email it to your gmail or dropbox account for access if you were unfortunate enough to have your gear stolen.

Don't wait to do it. I see it happening on a weekly basis. No one ever thinks that they are going to be next.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Balfey1972 wrote: »
    Don't wait to do it. I see it happening on a weekly basis.
    where do you see the gear being stolen?

where do you see the gear being stolen?

I am an insurance broker and we offer bespoke insurance for photographers and videographers. The number of theft claims reported to us have risen dramatically over the last 12 months. From house break-ins, to car break-ins and muggings, all for camera gear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah, i wasn't sure if you meant you were eyeballing the thefts.
    are people generally sensible enough to put their gear in the boot or glove compartment?

• Advertisement

ah, i wasn't sure if you meant you were eyeballing the thefts.
    are people generally sensible enough to put their gear in the boot or glove compartment?

Most are sensible enough to put their gear in the boot. You won't fit much in the glovebox now a days of most cars unless it's a compact.
    The majority of polices whether they be house or camera insurance policies will exclude cover from an unattended vehicles unless in a locked boot or glove compartment.

If you have a car / jeep that have one of the roll out blind type covers in the back make sure you have advised your insurers in writing.

To be honest it is simple things you need to be aware of,
    1. Keep you gear our of sight. In the car or at home.
    2. If you are in an area unfamiliar to you, try not have a big Nikon or Canon camera strap around your neck, I know you have paid alot of money for your gear, but an r7 type shoulder strap with the camera by your side doesn't stand out as much. Big cameras and lenses attract attention. Try where possible heading out in groups.
    3. Be careful of your camera bag in packed places and on trains and the like. A number of thefts of gear taken from the bags whilst people are walking about and also from under seats on trains and buses.

Also make sure you sit down and detail all the equipment you have in your bag. You will be very surprised how much it is to replace all your have. To be honest it will scare the bejasus out of you. Include your bag, tripod, cards, flash, lenses, bodies, triggers, filters, etc.

Make sure you insure it for the nearest replacement item also at each renewal, not what you bought it for. If you got a great deal on something secondhand, insure it for the new replacement value.

Take photos and keep serial numbers and store them where you can get access to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I am an insurance broker and we offer bespoke insurance for photographers and videographers. The number of theft claims reported to us have risen dramatically over the last 12 months. From house break-ins, to car break-ins and muggings, all for camera gear.

Hi,
    Is there international insurance for this ?
    I can't get my camera gear insured in Spain and when I try in Ireland I need to be resident.

the_monkey wrote: »
    Hi,
    Is there international insurance for this ?
    I can't get my camera gear insured in Spain and when I try in Ireland I need to be resident.

You can only take out cover where you are resident unfortunately.
    Try Ibex as I believe they offer as part of their Household insurance

All risks cover available for Personal effects and valuables (Europe & Worldwide)

http://www.ibexinsure.com/household-insurance.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Could you please send me the details of your broker, you sound like just the company I will be looking for in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Take photos and keep serial numbers and store them where you can get access to them.

I hate to state the oblivious but don’t keep the only copy on your computer at home. If your house is broken into it could very well we gone with your camera gear.I speak from a mates experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Most are sensible enough to put their gear in the boot. You won't fit much in the glovebox now a days of most cars unless it's a compact.
    The majority of polices whether they be house or camera insurance policies will exclude cover from an unattended vehicles unless in a locked boot or glove compartment.
    A lot of policies won't cover boot or glove box between the hours of 9pm and 8am.

Effects wrote: »
    A lot of policies won't cover boot or glove box between the hours of 9pm and 8am.

Very true, if you need cover outside this it can be got with some insurers (including ourselves) so make sure you ask the question. there is a charge for it but if you do weddings or the like you should consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I think behaviour and body-language are two of the most important things. Hold your camera down by your side with the strap around your wrist when you're not using it, maybe with a jacket or some other item helping to cover it. You don't have to hide it completely to be much more discreet. Nothing screams "Rob me, I'm an ejit" like a camera around your neck. Don't stay in one place too long, and don't spend forever composing your shot. In and out! The very fact that you seem to be mindful of your property it likely to scare off opportunistic thieves that want a soft tourist.

can i insure against spending a lot of money on a camera and not having the talent to get the best out of it?

can i insure against spending a lot of money on a camera and not having the talent to get the best out of it?

Now there is an idea..:)

Advertisement