Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs in Horse racing

Options
  • 14-07-2013 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi i was just wondering if anyone has any advice on getting a job in horse racing. or if any one knows of any point to point trainers in dublin

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

What type of job do you want? Is it as a work rider or just someone working in the industry, such as a yard hand, travelling lad/lass or someone dealing with the admin side of things? Have you much experience?

With the recession, there aren't as many jobs out there now as there were maybe a few years ago, but a lot of trainers are always willing to take on volunteers to ride out a day or so a week. If you don't have much experience, it would definitely be a good way to start, and get some knowledge so that you could move on and look for a 'paying job'.

There aren't too many trainers or handlers close to Dublin city - you'll have to travel a good distance from the city, to areas around north Dublin/south Meath and Kildare, where you'll find a lot more trainers.

Do you drive? A lot of yards aren't exactly convenient to public transport, and I know quite few trainers who haven't hired people because they didn't have their own transport.

If you're looking to get into the industry with a view to taking out a QR licence, take a look at the Turf Club website (www.turfclub.ie) and have a look at some of the info and tips they have available for those who are thinking of applying for a licence (http://www.turfclub.ie/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1715&Itemid=261).

It's also worth bearing in mind that QRs need to have a minimum of 3 rides each year in order to renew their licence without having to undergo another assessment. When this rule was introduced, a study was undertaken which showed that it was statistically impossible for every QR to obtain 3 rides each season (number of runners in races open to QRs (bumpers, ptps, hunter chases, etc) v number of licenced QRs).

• Registered Users Posts: 25 roblehinch

Not the best rider so would like to get a chance to improve my riding, and i would work anything yard or travelling lad etc. I am in college studying equine management and want to breed and train my own horses when im finished but want to get more experience with racing.

I have ask a few about working for for free but as im not the best rider or worst rider they never got back to me as i sent them an email as i thought it wouldnt be the best idea to just show up to the yard

I do drive i have my own car and im doing my HGV licence as i thought it might help me with getting a job.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

If you're looking at improving your riding, you may be better to go to a riding school rather than a racing yard. There are generally quite a few places which will take on voluntary helpers around the yard in return for lessons. It would give you the chance to improve your riding 'correctly' rather than just how to ride out. It's one of the things that's highlighted as the main reason people fail their assessment for getting licenses.

Then when you've got your riding sorted, there's loads of time to move onto work riding and the racing industry - don't forget that a lot of things which apply to 'normal' equestrian centres also apply to trainers' yards.

Emailing probably isn't the best means of contacting them as time is quite short, and if they're pushed for time trainers will probably only reply to 'important' emails rather than those which they may deem as time consuming. Do you know anyone riding out/working for trainers or handlers? If so, maybe get them to make the initial approach to the trainer for you, such as asking them when would suit you to phone them or call in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 roblehinch

I am doing lessons aswell just want to get into a yard and start concerntrating more on the training of racehorses and that kind of stuff i dont want to be a jockey so the QR isnt what im going for just the training. I know alot of people working but there all in northern ireland or the west none really in leinster.

Advertisement