Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar water heater - pump isn't moving glycol

Options
  • 14-07-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I've got a solar panel water heater and I'm having the same issue that I had once before.

The panel is obviously very hot in the current weather but the water isn't getting heated at all.
    The pump makes a little noise but there's a window on the pipe for the glycol and through that, I can see that it's not flowing at all.

I had a plumber out once before and he mentioned the motor was stuck.

I know he just turned up the speed for the motor ( there's 3 levels ) and once it was moving again he was able to turn it down and it ran normally.

I've tried doing the same thing with the motor myself but it hasn't made a difference. Maybe there was something else he did that I don't remember.

I haven't been able to get in touch with the same guy again

Am I missing something simple here?
    If it isn't something simple can anyone pm me details for a plumber who'd be used to these systems?

evhXxYX

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

If the pump is sticking just change it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

More than likely air in the system. Air in either corrugated pipe work & some coils with corrugated pipes traps microscopic air which high temps is shifting.
    Air gets trapped in manifold & pump is not strong enough to shift it.
    The system will need to be re-purged.

Saying that, it could well be a melted impeller.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

sc0by wrote: »
    I've got a solar panel water heater and I'm having the same issue that I had once before.

The panel is obviously very hot in the current weather but the water isn't getting heated at all.
    The pump makes a little noise but there's a window on the pipe for the glycol and through that, I can see that it's not flowing at all.

I had a plumber out once before and he mentioned the motor was stuck.

I know he just turned up the speed for the motor ( there's 3 levels ) and once it was moving again he was able to turn it down and it ran normally.

I've tried doing the same thing with the motor myself but it hasn't made a difference. Maybe there was something else he did that I don't remember.

I haven't been able to get in touch with the same guy again

Am I missing something simple here?
    If it isn't something simple can anyone pm me details for a plumber who'd be used to these systems?

evhXxYX

Hi
    Your system has air trapped inside it which is preventing any circulation this could result in the pump been damaged.
    You will need the pump examined and the system flushed to remove any air
    Where are you located?
    Cc

Advertisement