Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Branches of Philosophy

Options
  • 14-07-2013 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have always been a philosophical thinker, but until recently I've only become aware of it. I have done some research, and apparently there is 5 branches of philosophy: metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, politics and esthetics. Metaphysics seems to be the one I've delved into the most in everyday questionings of life, so I want to look into it more. I'd like to ask should I just stick to this branch because it is the one that interests me most or do most philosophers have a understanding of all branches?

Regarding metaphysics, I'd love if some of you could recommend books to start with. What I'm worried about is most books will probably cover all branches and not specify one of the branches.

Sorry if this is poorly written, I'm only beginning to get interested in philosophy but I'm having a problem getting on the right path.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

DarkDusk wrote: »
    Regarding metaphysics, I'd love if some of you could recommend books to start with.

The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy is an useful online source, defines metaphysics, and lists a 25 book bibliography.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

I've been getting into Deleuze a bit recently. This is a good intro.
    Gilles Deleuze: An Introduction

Hardly an introduction, but a good read.
    Introduction to Metaphysics

This is accessible and is the beginnings of a recent movement in continental philosophy.
    Towards Speculative Realism

It's actually more about metaphysics, despite the title.
    Ethics

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If you're going to focus on Metaphysics, you'd still be advised to get to grasps with the main ideas in Epistemology.

Without a background in the nature of knowedge, you'll end up in all kinds of strange places and dead ends in Metaphysics

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement