Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setanta sports + Free view channels

Options
  • 14-07-2013 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi I currently have the basic sky subscription and am thinking of cancelling it. Reason being I want to get be able to see next season's premier league and Setanta seems to be much cheaper than Sky Sports. Im wondering what my options are if I want to cancel Sky but keep all ftv channels (Ireland & Uk) so (RTE, BBC etc) and then install Setanta? Ive read about the combo boxes but wondering what my best option is....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

but all the best live games like 90% are on sky sports

sky sports are much better than bt/setanta

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

ftakeith wrote: »

Depending on what you want to watch, sky sports does have excellent rights with the PL, CL and Heineken Cup but after that some of the rights are only ok... the likes of cricket, golf and darts I have never watched on sky even though they never ever stop banging on about them. Between them BT/Setanta actually have some very good rights. Getting Sky Sports 1 on its own to save a few quid on the full subscription and use that towards BT/Setanta is something which I think might suit a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

daramel01 wrote: »
    Im wondering what my options are if I want to cancel Sky but keep all ftv channels (Ireland & Uk) so (RTE, BBC etc) and then install Setanta? Ive read about the combo boxes but wondering what my best option is....

is that possible:confused:

fryup wrote: »
    is that possible:confused:
    You don't need a sky subscription to view these channels, all you is a sky box or a set top box with a slot for the setanta card.

irishfeen wrote: »
    You don't need a sky subscription to view these channels, all you is a sky box or a set top box with a slot for the setanta card.

You will need a sub for RTE. This isnt FTA.

• Advertisement

You will need a sub for RTE. This isnt FTA.
    Oh yes, I thought that was taken for granted. But with the availably of Saorview its not a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 daramel01

ftakeith wrote: »

setanta have 71 live premier league games this season as well as live F1 and are 15euro cheaper a month then sky sports. I'll just keep my basic sky subscription and get setanta as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

9 out of the 10 channels that people watch everyday are free and dont require a Sky box or the monthly fees.

RTE1 + 2, TV3, 3E, Tg4, BBC1-4 ITV HD, ITV1-4 Ch4 , More4, Channel 5's (the all the +1's) Sky News etc are all free on a Combo Box, no monthly subcription.

You could then take out a subscription to Cyfra for their prepaid sub card for €270 for 18 months and see all the EPL games you want. Mind you the commentary will be in Polish and you will have to add an extra lnb on your dish bracket and a diseqc switch (€20).

Its what a lot of people do and its legal.

STB wrote: »
    9 out of the 10 channels that people watch everyday are free and dont require a Sky box or the monthly fees.

RTE1 + 2, TV3, 3E, Tg4, BBC1-4 ITV HD, ITV1-4 Ch4 , More4, Channel 5's (the all the +1's) Sky News etc are all free on a Combo Box, no monthly subcription.

You could then take out a subscription to Cyfra for their prepaid sub card for €270 for 18 months and see all the EPL games you want. Mind you the commentary will be in Polish and you will have to add an extra lnb on your dish bracket and a diseqc switch (€20).

Its what a lot of people do and its legal.

thanks I'm aware of this.
    Just 1 question - if setanta supply me with a card to put in my sky box what happens to my current sky card? I need it for my sky channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭muffler

daramel01 wrote: »
    thanks I'm aware of this.
    Just 1 question - if setanta supply me with a card to put in my sky box what happens to my current sky card? I need it for my sky channels.
    If you have an active sub with Sky you wont need a separate card for Setanta. They, Setanata, just need the card number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

I have the Humax freesat HDR 1000s,it has a card slot in it, would a setanta/bt card work for this, i doubt it myself but would be good to know

manutd83 wrote: »
    I have the Humax freesat HDR 1000s,it has a card slot in it, would a setanta/bt card work for this, i doubt it myself but would be good to know
    It should work i'd say..

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

manutd83 wrote: »

If you setup the correct CAM you can view all channels on your sky subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

mad turnip wrote: »
    If you setup the correct CAM you can view all channels on your sky subscription.

I dont have a sky sub, I have a freesat box

i'm getting FTA from astra 2

can i get setanta with the setanta card??

(what satellite does setanta broadcast from??)

i'm getting FTA from astra 2

can i get setanta with the setanta card??

(what satellite does setanta broadcast from??)
    Broadcasts from the same satellite as all Sky UK/Ireland channels - 28.2°E (Eutelsat 28A & Astra 1N/2A/2B) basically if your receiving BBC, ITV, C4 then its the one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tom Hanks

I have a Setanta Sub on a card with Liverpool TV & Motors TV, got it from Setanta after they got onto Sky.

This with the FTA stuff on 28e is great, especially seeing that BT will now be on it

irishfeen wrote: »
    Broadcasts from the same satellite as all Sky UK/Ireland channels - 28.2°E (Eutelsat 28A & Astra 1N/2A/2B) basically if your receiving BBC, ITV, C4 then its the one.

so i can get setanta with the card then?? where do i get this card how much is it??

so i can get setanta with the card then?? where do i get this card how much is it??
    Does you set top box include a slot for a viewing card mate? ... If yes ring Setanta and the will send out a viewing card when you take out the subscription. If it doesn't have a slot it is not possible.

Tom Hanks wrote: »
    I have a Setanta Sub on a card with Liverpool TV & Motors TV, got it from Setanta after they got onto Sky.

This with the FTA stuff on 28e is great, especially seeing that BT will now be on it

your LFCtv channel is free with your basic sky package. that is why i'm not cancelling sky i want to keep this channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

You guys seem to know what you are talking about so you might be able to help me!

Just subscribed to New Setanta package today on top of my sky package. I have two TVs with sky on them with 2 seperate boxes (I pay for multiroom), only one box has a card in it. This is the viewing card number I gave to Setanta to subscribe to them.

Should I get new channels on both TVs or just the one tv connected to the cardholder box? I thought I would get it on both but one tv (with cardholder) has the 5 new channels while other tv only has BT1, BT2 and ESPN, no Setanta Ireland or Setanta 1. Any info would be great thanks!

kev-bt wrote: »
    You guys seem to know what you are talking about so you might be able to help me!

Just subscribed to New Setanta package today on top of my sky package. I have two TVs with sky on them with 2 seperate boxes (I pay for multiroom), only one box has a card in it. This is the viewing card number I gave to Setanta to subscribe to them.

Should I get new channels on both TVs or just the one tv connected to the cardholder box? I thought I would get it on both but one tv (with cardholder) has the 5 new channels while other tv only has BT1, BT2 and ESPN, no Setanta Ireland or Setanta 1. Any info would be great thanks!
    The BT1 & 2 were free earlier tonight. I think they're gone now unless you are subscribed.

You will get the full Setanta/BT pack on your main box. To get the same on the 2nd box you will need to contact Setanta and pay an additional €1.49 (I think thats the cost - its on their website anyhow) for the additional box and you will need a card for it which Im surprised you dont have from Sky if you are paying for multiroom

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

muffler wrote: »
    The BT1 & 2 were free earlier tonight. I think they're gone now unless you are subscribed.

You will get the full Setanta/BT pack on your main box. To get the same on the 2nd box you will need to contact Setanta and pay an additional €1.49 (I think thats the cost - its on their website anyhow) for the additional box and you will need a card for it which Im surprised you dont have from Sky if you are paying for multiroom

Thanks, I actually checked there and there is a card in second box, its the newer sky+ HD BOX so it was hidden. I presume its €1.49 a month extra rather than just a one off fee of €1.49?!

kev-bt wrote: »
    Thanks, I actually checked there and there is a card in second box, its the newer sky+ HD BOX so it was hidden. I presume its €1.49 a month extra rather than just a one off fee of €1.49?!
    Yeah €1.49 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Yeah €1.49 a month.

Were they not telling subscribers that the first multiroom was free?

Anyone with a spare Sky card can get Setanta,I know of a couple of people who have done this,best to use a UK card though in order to get the UK EPG.All Setanta need is the card number to get you up and running.

zerks wrote: »
    Were they not telling subscribers that the first multiroom was free?

Anyone with a spare Sky card can get Setanta,I know of a couple of people who have done this,best to use a UK card though in order to get the UK EPG.All Setanta need is the card number to get you up and running.
    The second box WAS free before the new deal with BT.

I have no idea if people are able to thrash out a deal with them or not but in their FAQ's it clearly says that the second box will be €1.49 per month and any further boxes will be charged at €2.99 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

The second box WAS free before the new deal with BT.

I have no idea if people are able to thrash out a deal with them or not but in their FAQ's it clearly says that the second box will be €1.49 per month and any further boxes will be charged at €2.99 per month.

It's still free the second box
    I used Setanta website on Thursday to subscribe €19.99 no connection fee
    After I got confirmation I was subscribed to Setanta there was a message
    Get free multi room on second sky box contact customer service on this number

I called them and asked for my free multi room
    Gave my card number of my second sky box
    I then asked how much for a third sky box
    €2.99

So I have Setanta subscription
    3 Sky HD boxes
    Paying €19.99 multi room second box free
    Third box €2.99
    Total a month for 3 sky boxes €22.98

Note just to let you know they have a limit of 4 sky boxes in total allowed per house
    1 main box and 3 multi room box

Advertisement