Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meetup.com

Options
  • 14-07-2013 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Just wondering if any of you have tried the above site and what you thought if it? Reine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Reine wrote: »
    Just wondering if any of you have tried the above site and what you thought if it? Reine.

Hi Reine,

I joined a few of the groups on there recently. Haven't gone to any meetups yet but hoping to go to a ceilí next week. I'll let you know how it goes. :) Which groups are thinking about joining?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Brilliant! I've been on walks, I've been to talks, I've been to films - and they were all great. Everybody friendly, everyone introduces themselves, good fun. Especially the films which were unusual not mainstream films, and people stayed for a drink after and discussed the film. And other topics!

Dublin seems to have a specially big MeetUp group (ie zillions of groups) compared to other cities and places.

Brilliant! I've been on walks, I've been to talks, I've been to films - and they were all great. Everybody friendly, everyone introduces themselves, good fun. Especially the films which were unusual not mainstream films, and people stayed for a drink after and discussed the film. And other topics!

Dublin seems to have a specially big MeetUp group (ie zillions of groups) compared to other cities and places.

Thanks for that. :) I'm going kayaking on Sunday so super excited and then off to a ceilí next week. :) I was feeling sorry for myself there for a while, as all my friends are emigrating :( Then I heard about this website. It's a great idea. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭flahers

Do you have to be from Dublin to attend ?

flahers wrote: »

There's events organised all over the shop, don't think you have to be from Dublin to attend a Dublin event, as far as I know.

• Advertisement

Galway seems to have a lot of MeetUp groups too. I looked at a small city in England, and a city in Germany and they only had 2 groups each, both to do with computers/web development (I think).

Not sure why they really took off here, maybe due to the amount of immigration we had in a small period of time, so lots of people looking to do stuff and get to know people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

I had a look at this but can't make my mind up which would work for me. I would just like to go out socially Dublin city centre and meet people 40 + for weekends away in the longer term. Any groups you'd re commend for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

MOD:
    I understand that Meetups.com is not a dating agency but there are a few reading this thread that believe it might be. There is a new(ish) discussion forum specifically for on-line dating that they might find useful.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056968455

Note that it is a private forum and has certain requirements before you get permission to post there. Though I'm not privy to the forum I'm led to believe that it's popular with the users.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    MOD:
    I understand that Meetups.com is not a dating agency but there are a few reading this thread that believe it might be. There is a new(ish) discussion forum specifically for on-line dating that they might find useful.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056968455

Note that it is a private forum and has certain requirements before you get permission to post there. Though I'm not privy to the forum I'm led to believe that it's popular with the users.

It's made pretty clear on the site that is NOT a dating site. I joined to make new friends and go on trips and nights out, as all my friends are emigrating. It's just a group of people getting together with similar interests. Like joining a sports club etc, very different from a dating site imo. I'm in a relationship so only joining to try out new things and make friends. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

flahers wrote: »

No, but city groups tend to be more successful and better (Dublin, Kilkenny, Galway etc.). That stands to reason. I found that the rural groups don't last very long.

• Advertisement

Not a MeetUp, but Passport for Leisure, the Dublin City Council initiative for over-55s has a facebook page giving details of walks and events. Friendly bunch, I went on a walk down the Dodder with them last year. Bit of a slow walk for me, but if you like a friendly stroll maybe you might consider it.
    Next week it's time to WALK and TALK with a series of free 90 minute historical walking tours led by acclaimed historian Pat Liddy. Have a look at our full list below, and tag your walking buddy in the comments to invite them along!

Monday 19th August - 2pm - Meet outside National Photographic Archive, Temple Bar.

Tuesday 20th August- 2pm- Meet outside St. Peter Church, North Circular Road, Phib

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Berckoise

I would be interested to know if anyone has managed to find a meetup in Cork city for the "more mature" adult - I know each area has Active Retirement groups but they don't seem to do the sort of things I am looking for - talks, films, walks...... (no bingo or bus outings :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,141 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Aaargh, there's that word!!

Berckoise wrote: »
    I would be interested to know if anyone has managed to find a meetup in Cork city for the "more mature" adult - I know each area has Active Retirement groups but they don't seem to do the sort of things I am looking for - talks, films, walks...... (no bingo or bus outings :rolleyes:)

Why don't you start one? That's how all the Meet Ups start - somebody has an idea and starts a group. Sounds like the Arts and Culture Group here in Dublin. Or you can make it an 0ver 40s Group or whatever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Berckoise

You're right of course! I was hoping someone else would do it; there are founder types and joiner types. Maybe I will have to do something eventually, but I'm shy :o

Advertisement