Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic appliance. Plumber repair?

Options
  • 14-07-2013 12:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭

I was curious to see how many plumbers repair domestic appliances that work with oil, gas & water. (washing machines, dishwashers, cookers , dryers ect)

I repair these items. Have done so since apprenticeship days. Any other plumbers out there repair these items aswell? The reason I ask is im thinking about extending my services into this area. As I fell its more of a repair market for everything now rather than a reinstatement.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

I was curious to see how many plumbers repair domestic appliances that work with oil, gas & water. (washing machines, dishwashers, cookers , dryers ect)

I repair these items. Have done so since apprenticeship days. Any other plumbers out there repair these items aswell? The reason I ask is im thinking about extending my services into this area. As I fell its more of a repair market for everything now rather than a reinstatement.

I'd repair oil and gas appliances but would never touch washing machines dryers etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭corkplumber

Dtp79 wrote: »
    I'd repair oil and gas appliances but would never touch washing machines dryers etc

that's my general thinking.

plumbers oftec and gid. will repair some appliances . but limited to either gas or oil. but not all appliances using water , oil & gas.

I am getting a lot of calls . but they are all for repairs. I.E fixing leaking baths rather than reinstate the tiling ect. tHEY JUST WANT A REPAIR. TAKE OUT BATH , MAKE GOOD THE REPAIRS. I feelthis is also the case with domestic appliances. I am getting a lot of calls asking to I repair washing machines, dishwashers even tea/coffee machines. Im thinking of just providing a repair service. Boiler repairs and service. appliance repair and service ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭gifted

sounds like a good market to get into, would it be possible to contact manufacturers and find out if they do repair courses or something similar?

gifted wrote: »
    sounds like a good market to get into, would it be possible to contact manufacturers and find out if they do repair courses or something similar?

I was looking at a course with shevron. 750 euro for 1 week. I was going to book that course. just to upskill.

@ gifted. I think the general market at the moment is in my location (CORK) repairs and service. Wether its bio fuel, heat pumps , wells, solar heating, gas, oil, domestic appliances, plumbing appliances ect.

The reinstatement market is very competitive and minute compared to repair/ service.

For instance I repaired a monsoon pump a couple of mths ago for an estate agent. There was another pump there (motor seized) from a previous repair less than a year earlier. I repaired both pumps and charged my callout and 1 hours labour. Ever since I have been getting on average 5 calls a mth from this ea asking to fix washing machines, dishwashers, cookers, boilers ect.

It has increased my income significantly. As for the reinstatement market, Im probably doing 1/2 every mth (that's a good mth). The rest are repairs to taps , showers and every thing else.

I find once I say I can repair it. They say do it . straight away. well within reason. I charge 120 for the first hour including call out or part of hour plus materials. I charge an extra 30% for the materials. 60 euro for additional hour / hours . I repair most problems within an hour or tops 2 hours. No repair no fee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

@ gifted. I think the general market at the moment is in my location (CORK) repairs and service. Wether its bio fuel, heat pumps , wells, solar heating, gas, oil, domestic appliances, plumbing appliances ect.

The reinstatement market is very competitive and minute compared to repair/ service.

For instance I repaired a monsoon pump a couple of mths ago for an estate agent. There was another pump there (motor seized) from a previous repair less than a year earlier. I repaired both pumps and charged my callout and 1 hours labour. Ever since I have been getting on average 5 calls a mth from this ea asking to fix washing machines, dishwashers, cookers, boilers ect.

It has increased my income significantly. As for the reinstatement market, Im probably doing 1/2 every mth (that's a good mth). The rest are repairs to taps , showers and every thing else.

I find once I say I can repair it. They say do it . straight away. well within reason. I charge 120 for the first hour including call out or part of hour plus materials. I charge an extra 30% for the materials. 60 euro for additional hour / hours . I repair most problems within an hour or tops 2 hours. No repair no fee.

If you can get enough of the small jobs ie. service and repair I believe that that if you provide a good professional, honest service then you can do very well in this country.
    If you find a need for what you do, by all means go for it and leave the oil boilers for me please.
    Glad to see you charge the appropate fee's. With small jobs you'll find that an average 1/3 of the day is taken up with travel & getting parts and phone. + the fact were not working flat out 365
    I operate only within 15-16 miles of the city and still clock up 500-600 miles per week when busy. ( I done 35 miles this week !!) I hate this hot weather. Not good for boilers.

I approve of the NO FIX/NO FEE

As for parts, I show the costomer the price list from HM or other suppliers and charge what the parts cost me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭gifted

Sounds like you have a nice little earner going there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I do them too. But ill work on most things. If I can do it myself I cant see why not do it for someone else too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Looks like you've competition now cork plumber!!

At last we have found people who are also willing to do anything your asked if your capable of doing.
    Remember the bloke who wouldn't help hang a picture?

ps. We have simple competition rules in Cork.

ALL oil boilers are mine!

• Advertisement

scudo2 wrote: »
    At last we have found people who are also willing to do anything your asked if your capable of doing.
    Remember the bloke who wouldn't help hang a picture?

Id nearly say you can have them. You come away reeking of kero and filthy.

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Id nearly say you can have them. You come away reeking of kero and filthy.
    you forgot to finish it with "filthy rich" ps "almost" !! Still need the last few 00's on the bank balance.

you forgot to finish ith with "filthy rich" ps "almost" !!

Ill admit that made me laugh. We're not electricians ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

That's as long as I don't want them!
    I have to go back down there next month to fit a Vortex for the guy I fitted the NUOS for.
    So get your knives ready for me tyres!!!

shane0007 wrote: »
    That's as long as I don't want them!
    I have to go back down there next month to fit a Vortex for the guy I fitted the NUOS for.
    So get your knives ready for me tyres!!!
    Not intrested in your tyres any more!!!

Let me know when you want me to commision it Shane.

Anyway. Back on to corkplumber, do what you do best and make money mate. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 thepits

@corkplumber- Word of advice-Avoid the Chevron training course like the plague. I did it,and genuinely what we did for the week is drink coffee watch videos of the instructor flying his model plane,and doing a "Test" that we were given the answers to. I came out with the same knowledge of Appliances as I did when I went in,but minus €700 -Go away and put it towards a holiday is my advice.Well Unless you have money to blow!

Not intrested in your tyres any more!!!

You must have got in a bit of bother for doing a fellow Corkonian's tyres the last time!

thepits wrote: »
    @corkplumber- Word of advice-Avoid the Chevron training course like the plague. I did it,and genuinely what we did for the week is drink coffee watch videos of the instructor flying his model plane,and doing a "Test" that we were given the answers to. I came out with the same knowledge of Appliances as I did when I went in,but minus €700 -Go away and put it towards a holiday is my advice.Well Unless you have money to blow!

From what I hear, at the moment there is no decent course here in Ireland. Guys I know went to the UK to do decent courses.

• Advertisement

You must have got in a bit of bother for doing a fellow Corkonian's tyres the last time!

More insults, I'm from Carlow, only here 27 years. Not yet a Corkonian by there People's Republic Of Cork standards yet!

More insults, I'm from Carlow, only here 27 years. Not yet a Corkonian by there People's Republic Of Cork standards yet!

From Carlaaaa!
    I'll never look at you the same again....

From Carlaaaa!
    I'll never look at you the same again....

Bloody muck savage. :pac:

Bloody foreigners. Coming to our county, taking our jobs.

If this keeps up. ILL HAVE TO START HANGING PICTURES.

So much for wishing you well !
    It's not my fault that ye provided me with 27 years of repair work.
    Typical Corkeoinians, never gratefull for somebody comeing here and showing ye how to do it properly.

Typical Corkeoinians, never gratefully for somebody comeing here and showing ye how to do it properly.

only joking. we don't mind the culchies to much (Carlow ect). but the jackeens (shane) INVADING US and taking our work. Now that Is a total different agenda.

Typical Corkeoinians, never gratefull for somebody comeing here and showing ye how to do it properly.

Boom headshot.

Can we get back to washing machines before were all sworn enemys

Ps shanes still a jackeen

corkgsxr wrote: »

Ps shanes still a jackeen
    :D:D:D

I booked that course this morning with chevron. I told the fella on the phone (I heard bad things) & I don't want to be watching videos. I could do that at home. he said its very hand on. Ill wait and see, and update.

I have a lot of experience in appliance repairs, so if I spend 750 and get nothing out of it. ill demand me money back. <snip> Threat removed

• Advertisement

Jackeen my ass. I'm a Cat & looking forward to kicking some Cork ass & hopefully kick some Dublin or Limerick ass after that.
    Re: Chevron course, let us know how you get on after it. Hopefully it's good & worthwhile. I would much prefer to see guys getting trained here in Ireland than going over to UK to get it.

Advertisement