Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Laptop

Options
  • 14-07-2013 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Advice needed please regarding new laptop purchase.

At present I have an Asus eee PC notebook together with a an IPad 3 for personal use. I also had a Toshiba laptop for personal use for almost 5 years until it gave up last year.

I am unsure what exactly to purchase next, the new laptop is purely for home office personal use, word XL etc. I have no use for gaming. Yes I use the Internet for Facebook and iTunes Photo collection. How much budget should I allow for this €500 ?

My brother in law is suggesting an Apple laptop , to keep everything Apple and make it easier to transfer information? Whilst the IPad is great it is not a replacement for a laptop and I find the screen too small. Ideally I would like a 15inch screen as a minimum with option to connect to TV screen/monitor.

At this stage I am to be honest confused by the range of options in shops and websites. Any advice please? Many thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

stay away from apple, It's NOT worth the cost. Especially for what you use the laptop for.

You could lower your budget to 350-400 ..AND buy in a store and still get what you need.

Any pc should do what you need. Just make sure they have a HDMI slot. (thats what you need to connect to a TV)

If battery life is important to you, wait a couple of months before buying. (New quad core intel processors, which have amazing battery life ..6-10 hours)
    If cheap is more important, just keep an eye on sales. And get an I5/I7-3XXX. Stores will be getting rid of old stock.

If you don't mind buying online, stick with Amazon, they have good customer servers.
    But there's also saveonlaptops.co.uk and another site, I can't remember now for good prices, but they are meant to be hassle for customer service.

If you see AMD(instead of intel) Try to keep towards dual, or preferably quad cores, for good speed. And at least 2 or 4 gig RAM (memory).

Advertisement