Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enlarged adenoids and removal of adenoids in adults

Options
  • 13-07-2013 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi,
    I had some tests (hearing, CT scan and camera up nose) done recently due to problems I have been experiencing with my ears (ringing, popping, clicking noise when swallowing, pain, etc). All the tests were clear except for enlarged adenoids, which I have to have removed soon. My ENT consultant was surprised to see this and said that it is rare in adults, which frightened me. At the time I couldn't think of any questions, but of course since then there are lots of thoughts :( going through my mind. I'm just wondering if anyone else has been through this and can advise on what recovery after the surgery may be like. I have heard that having your tonsils out is worse as an adult, so I'm worried that having adenoids removed would be too. I'm also worried about why they are enlarged, but when I asked the consultant about this, he said that they had probably never reduced in size as I got older. Any information I could find online tends to deal with children, not adults.

Thanks for any replies.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

toothie wrote: »
    Hi,
    I had some tests (hearing, CT scan and camera up nose) done recently due to problems I have been experiencing with my ears (ringing, popping, clicking noise when swallowing, pain, etc). All the tests were clear except for enlarged adenoids, which I have to have removed soon. My ENT consultant was surprised to see this and said that it is rare in adults, which frightened me. At the time I couldn't think of any questions, but of course since then there are lots of thoughts :( going through my mind. I'm just wondering if anyone else has been through this and can advise on what recovery after the surgery may be like. I have heard that having your tonsils out is worse as an adult, so I'm worried that having adenoids removed would be too. I'm also worried about why they are enlarged, but when I asked the consultant about this, he said that they had probably never reduced in size as I got older. Any information I could find online tends to deal with children, not adults.

Thanks for any replies.

You're worrying far too much. An adenoidectomy is a very simple and routine procedure - there is nothing to be concerned about. The adenoids are important for children as they act as an immunity buffer but as we get older we don't require them any more, so much so, that they are considered vestigial in adults, or useless. Hence, this procedure tends not to be performed on children under the age of 1.

However, as for recovery time, it's usually quite quick, maybe only a few days in a kid. However, it is true that it's much rarer in adults and the recovery time will be slightly longer, but nothing to be concerned about. Any pain or discomfort post-surgery is usually insignificant and can be easily abated with a regular dose of analgesics, which I'm sure will be given to you post-surgery.

Hope this answers your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭toothie

Thanks wretcheddomain, that really helps. :) Not so bad so.

Advertisement