Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

where to meet new people

• 13-07-2013 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi,
    I am in my early 20s and just out of a long term relationship. Although it was not a bad breakup, we have remained friends, but not as close. Most of my friends were mutual friends - I am not a very confident person and felt like friends would always choose him over me. So now I am looking to get out and meet new people, try new things. I still have my own few friends but we are each very different so don't get to interact with others much. I am in Cork.
    I like to go out and enjoy myself at weekends [my friends don't drink], I enjoy sports.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭boardfriek

Any luck yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fififairy

I also am in the same situation...my relationship of 13 years ended and we too have mutual friends.
    They are all married or in long term things so dont want to do the same activities...
    Where are all the single people these days!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭boardfriek

Seems like the only way is to go out on weekends drinking. But that's not my cup of tea....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fififairy

Me neither!! I rather go places and see new things...not to be stuck in a dingy club surrounded by kids.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Easiest way is to take up some sort of group activity. You like sports, why not an athletics / football / gaa club?

People have something in common first, talk second and become friends over time. Don't go looking for friends, just do something new and find them while you're there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I keep recommending MeetUp.com - there are a hundred or so groups in Dublin, catering for all interests. I don't know if they are in Cork, but you might look or start one off and see. They are friendly and you don't have to go along every time or every Tuesday or whatever. I've been out with a few different groups depending on what they're doing and whether it fits into my schedule, and everyone else seems to do the same so there's a large floating population as well as the regulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

clubs and societies are a good way to meet people in a friendly atmosphere. hiking is really good as you are on the mountain for a good long time and get to talk to a number of different people and then there is a meetup back in a pub but it is usually about 1-2 drinks so you could have a coffee. Cork has a couple of good hiking clubs. they normally run on sunday morning.so instead of feeling you are missing out on not going out on saturday night you are getting ready to head off in the morning.

I like singing and photography so I am in those kind of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 stardollz

Hiking group actually sounds great! Will check some out. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 49 stardollz

hare05 wrote: »
    Easiest way is to take up some sort of group activity. You like sports, why not an athletics / football / gaa club?

People have something in common first, talk second and become friends over time. Don't go looking for friends, just do something new and find them while you're there.

I am heavily involved in sports, but on all ladies teams, and they are all alot older than me also. Likewise, in work everybody is at least ten years older and married with kids etc. It's just difficult to find people to engage with outside of sports. Thanks for the feedback!

Advertisement