Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ewes & Sponging

• 13-07-2013 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi I Was just wondering the advantages/disadvantages about sponging ewes?

I am going killing my remaining lambs(Still on ewes) this week and was hoping to have them lambing in early Jan?

What is my best hope? Also Flushing the ewes correctly, to max my amount of lambs?

Thanks For The Help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

have not done it for a good few years but afaik ewes should be weaned for a min of 2 weeks before sponging. also best to do good strong mature ewes.ewes need to be in good order andget a good flush,but they will thrive like hell with sponges in.our best results were always when we split ewes into small groups when mating and rotate the rams around between groups

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭farmers101

Thanks DMAXMAN For Your Advice.

In relation to flushing ewes, what would be the best ways of doing so?
    Wud I Need 2 dose the ewes prior 2 matting eg, twin plus, fluke, works?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Best to do all dosing before mating and check there feet also, some lads use a hormone injection along with the sponges I think it increases litter size but more say its makes no difference only adds expense , best way to flush ewes is to have them knee deep in grass for a few week before mating , but give them time to dry off properly first after weaning. Make sure you have enough rams for mating I think you need a ratio 1 ram to 8 or 10 ewes

Advertisement