Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Medical Card with "Valid to" date of 2020 form a contract? Card up for review

Options
  • 13-07-2013 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I have an elderly relative that has a medical card from 7 or more years ago that has a *valid to* date of 2020 on it. Recently she got a letter from the HSE informing her that her card was *up for review* They want her to complete a *Medical Card Review Application Form - Over 70 Years of Age.*

I get the feeling there is a bit of a quick one being pulled on her by the government. I am sure I heard or read some where that the Valid to date on the card forms a contract and can't be broken. Hence newer cards have only a year life span.
    Any one any thoughts? Thanks.

Comments

You heard wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

firkin wrote: »
    I have an elderly relative that has a medical card from 7 or more years ago that has a "valid to" date of 2020 on it. Recently she got a letter from the HSE informing her that her card was "up for review." They want her to complete a "Medical Card Review Application Form - Over 70 Years of Age." I get the feeling there is a bit of a quick one being pulled on her by the government. I am sure I heard or read some where that the "Valid to" date on the card forms a contract and can't be broken. Hence newer cards have only a year life span. Any one any thoughts? Thanks.

Seems like.rubbish to me, the valid to date isn't a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭firkin

why wouldn't it be? Its in writing: valid to 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 craggle

This is happening to a lot of people recently, medical card says it is valid for years to come but they are sent letters requesting info. if the info isnt sent the medical card will be cancelled so you need to send them whatever they are asking for or you wont have a valid card and will have to reapply

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hawthorne

I think you are wrong in the date (2020)- or the card has the wrong year printed on it.
    Medical cards are NEVER issued that long. Just do your maths: 2020 is a whopping 7 years away.
    Medical cards used to be issued on a yearly basis- you had to reapply/confirm every year. At the moment it can be up to 3 years maximum.
    If the card was issued 7 years ago, it is already a dinosaur and needs badly a recheck.
    So check the date again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 craggle

hawthorne wrote: »
    I think you are wrong in the date (2020)- or the card has the wrong year printed on it.
    Medical cards are NEVER issued that long. Just do your maths: 2020 is a whopping 7 years away.
    Medical cards used to be issued on a yearly basis- you had to reaply/confirm every year. At the moment it can be up to 3 years maximum.
    So check the date again.

ive seen medical cards with expiry dates of 2035, as far as i remember they were all belonging to elderly people. over 70s were automatically entitled to a medical card which is probably why the expiry was so long. but because they arent automatically entitled anymore the expiry date is no guarentee, if they get a request for means testing they have to send all the info in or theyll have their card cancelled. then after the info is received a decision is made on whether they get to keep their card based on their means

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

The long period of card validity notwithstanding, eligibility can be reviewed at any time.

How Long Does the Medical Card Last?
    The card is usually issued for three years after which your eligibility is reviewed. Depending on your circumstances, it may be issued for a shorter period. If your circumstances change, you must inform the HSE, as you may no longer be eligible. If your income or family circumstances change you must inform Client Registration Unit, P.O. Box 11745, Dublin 11, or alternatively contact us at LoCall 1890 252 919.

As a quality control measure we also carry out random reviews of continued eligibility. This is to make sure that people who hold cards are still eligible, based on national guidelines. Should you be selected at random for a review, you will receive a personalised letter and review form for completion. You will be notified of the specific date by which the review form must be returned the Client Registration Unit, P.O. Box 11745, Dublin 11. If you do not return your review form your application cannot be re-assessed and your card may not be re-issued.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/schemes/mc/about/#long

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I was issued a card that had a 10 year validity ,when the cut backs started I was reissued a yearly one,

which reminds me renewal time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

They're usually for a period of three years.
    It's not a contract, OP. Anything could happen between now and the "Valid to" date on the card.

Say someone has a medical card, is unemployed and is entitled to one, yet a year down the line they get full-time work.

Well, they're no longer entitled to it, so they'll have to send it back.

It's well known in all matters of Social Welfare/HSE payments, entitlements, that if your circumstances change, you must inform them.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Vologda69

fussyonion wrote: »
    They're usually for a period of three years.
    It's not a contract, OP. Anything could happen between now and the "Valid to" date on the card.

Say someone has a medical card, is unemployed and is entitled to one, yet a year down the line they get full-time work.

Well, they're no longer entitled to it, so they'll have to send it back.

It's well known in all matters of Social Welfare/HSE payments, entitlements, that if your circumstances change, you must inform them.

Anyone who is long term unemployed and gets a new job is entitled to keep their medical card for for a period.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Vologda69 wrote: »
    Anyone who is long term unemployed and gets a new job is entitled to keep their medical card for for a period.

I think it used to be until the next review, but with the new scheme it will be valid up to 3 more years after you started working

Advertisement