Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savings / Living Expenses on IEC

Options
  • 13-07-2013 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

*Searched funds and savings, did not find a dedicated thread. There are many threads on proving funds to immigration, which is not what I'm interested in.*

On the Embassy website it says $2,500 for 3 months. (single person?) That's about $800 per month. Is that what people would also recommend?

Regarding location, I'm aiming for Vancouver but Toronto is the fall-back. I understand the bigger cities are more expensive but pay tends to reflect that. I've seen many house-shares in Vancouver for about $650p.m. as a guide.

I think I'll have to spend about €800 before leaving Ireland on flights, insurance, fees etc. so at €3,600 ($4,800) left for living over there while looking for work. $800 I'm looking at about 6 months living expenses. What do you all think about savings for living expenses while looking for work?

Exchange rate 13 July 2014 - €1 - $1.36

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Beebox

I think you'd need a bit more especially in Vancouver if you're planning on not working while looking for your ideal job for a few months. Really you should take any odd jobs you can in the mean time to earn a little each week.

Things like transport, printing costs (resumes), and even networking/social events cost and add up.

Food here is bloody expensive. Don't buy cereal, it's about 7-8 dollars a box. Fruit and veg can be inexpensive.
    There's also start up costs. If you're renting, most places are unfurnished. You can get a certain amount of things free or for very little in yard sales/Craigslist. But it is an expense.

Also make sure you fly over at the right time if looking for accommodation, most places rent the 1st of the month so take into account you'll be spending a bit on hostels/etc while looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Thanks for the input. I will look for general work first, and after that I'll start looking upwards. Did you do that yourself? I would prefer retail over bar work, I don't drink anymore and I did plenty of retail in school college. I really have to keep that in mind though 1. Any job to sustain funds 2. Then look for career work.

Getting jobs there is described as a very social experience, personal, not remote like CVs on a PC. I will have to learn about that.

I've been reading into accom there. Is house-shares really that common? The kind of adverts I've been reading is 6-8 people to a house, often 3 stories and the rent, including main bills coming in around $650. That's a price I can afford and a house-share would be just fine with me. They seem to come furnished though I'd make an allowance for extras when I get there. Yes, I see apartments are generally unfurnished. I'm not averse to them. I got a first iimpression when reading that apartments were usually more taken up by people a bit more established, what do you think? They would be more expensive than a $650 house-share, right?

I will keep in mind what you say about costs building up. It's good for me to prepare for that. I'm juggling: 1. Waiting for the IEC 2014 to open up 2. Saving enough to live for a few months 3. Getting tired of unemployed life in Ireland, so I can only save so much before I lose my mind here. If an $800 budget for 6 months plus looking for something like retail work to supplement income will work, then I'll do that.

OK, cereal will have to go! That is pricey. I did live in Italy so I will get used to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I suggest bringing far more than 2500 dollars. I'm in Vancouver a month and it is very expensive for rent in good areas. Cereal, cheese and chicken are very expensive, but I've found that red meat is very cheap compared to back home.

They tend to eat out a lot more than back home and booze can be expensive but all of the bars tend to have offers, such as $2 dollars drinks during the week and that. Don't forget you need to add 12% tax + tip on prices in bars/restaurants! I'm paying 720 a month including all bills for a big room in a house, all my housemates are sound and I'm about 15-20 from town via transit, only 10 minutes to Broadway (9th avenue ) which has a lot going on too.

Having said that, Vancouver is class, much better than Toronto (which I visited last year). Just go to Wreck Beach, it is unbelievable, and not because of the nudity haha. But in general the scenery is class. I've heard people call Vancouverites to be not very friendly, but I've found them very nice so far, and the city in general and environs are very safe (east hastings excluded!)

Vancouver > Toronto everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Sounds good kev, did you have any luck geting a job or still looking?

Advertisement