Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Heating Oil

Options
  • 13-07-2013 1:25pm

This great weather made me think about buying some oil (kerosene 21sec) :)

I seem to recall that, a few years ago, there was a supplier in the North of Ireland who sold heating oil and supplied/rented you a bowser trailer with a suitable pump to get it into the tank. I'm pretty certain that buying the oil for your own use isn't illegal but can't find the supplier. Does anyone know if they still exist and, if so, how I can get in contact with them, please??

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Moved to North.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

can't help, but the Go petrol station in Carrickfergus gas a HHO pump.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Ive just used boilerjuice for a good while now, think they compare and used to take the savings off your bill, now they give u the credit for next time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Id love to know who hires the bowsers too, its way way cheaper in the North, living in Monasterboice its not much hassle to head over to Newry for it. How many litres would you get into a typical boswer towable by a car/4x4?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

A year late I know only came across this, Hoey Fuels in Cullaville hire a bowser, think they have one that holds 1000ltrs..

• Advertisement

macadam wrote: »
    A year late I know only came across this, Hoey Fuels in Cullaville hire a bowser, think they have one that holds 1000ltrs..

Still needed to know this, so thanks for the late reply!

You will still be breaking the law by transporting fuel in one of those bowser's, if your stopped it could be confiscated.

Why would it be breaking the law? Are they not up to spec for transporting fuel?

Here is are a few questions and answers I copied from a bowser manufacturers page...

A 1.2 Does the range of diesel / gas oil equipment comply with current environmental regulations?

Yes. Our equipment is compliant with the PPG2 (Pollution Prevention) guidelines. The tanks are all fully bunded to ensure minimum risk of leaks and spills.

A 1.3 Are the highway bowsers fully approved for transporting diesel/gas oil on the highway?

Yes. Our range of highway towable diesel / gas oil bowsers have successfully passed the rigorous U.N. approval process, meaning they can be transported full of fuel on the highway (providing the driver has the necessary training - see below).

A 1.4 What training do I need to transport diesel / gas oil on the highway?

This depends on the amount of fuel being transported. To transport a road legal container with a capacity under 1000 litres, a general understanding of the ADR 'Carriage of Dangerous Goods' regulations is required. The driver should be aware of equipment and vehicle marking requirements and also be aware of emergency procedures to follow in the event of an accident.

When transporting a container with a capacity over the 1000 litre threshold, the driver must hold an ADR driver training certificate, which can be obtained by taking the ADR driver training course.

A 1.5 How are Fuel Proof diesel/gas oil storage tanks and bowsers filled with fuel?

This depends on the amount of fuel being transported. To transport a road legal container with a capacity under 1000 litres, a general understanding of the ADR 'Carriage of Dangerous Goods' regulations is required. The driver should be aware of equipment and vehicle marking requirements and also be aware of emergency procedures to follow in the event of an accident

Advertisement