Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please read - need help with coming up with comforting words for a friend

Options
  • 13-07-2013 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi there,

My cousin was recently involved in a car accident and is now paralysed from the waist down. I am very fond of her but we're not too close and at the moment, she only wants to see or talk to immediate family, understandably of course..

Her sister said that she has been seeking some comfort in the cards she has received. I would like to send her a card and include some comforting words or verse to try show that she is in my thoughts. However, I am clueless as to what would be appropriate to write in the car given her situation. I would like to write something more thoughtful or comforting than simply saying that she is in my thoughts and prayers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Laura.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

We are all different ..... I would absolutely hate to get something gentle, loving, kind, ..... yeuch! It smacks of falsehood!

A simple note to me would be more appreciated .... ' thinking of you and wishing you well .... let me know when I can visit '

Then there are others who would appreciate religious stuff and prayers and so on .....

So, if you know the person, you know what they would appreciate ..... stick to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

I personally would wish them peace and serenity to overcome the trial they are enduring and that you are there for her to talk to if she needs to. The worst thing when you suffer a severe illness pr injury is that people don't talk about it.
    She's still the same person :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Just seeing this now. I presume she's in Ireland. And so now in NRH in Dun Laoighre.

I say go visit. I spent 9 months out there and a visit was always, almost always, a pleasure.

It's 2 months now, she'd like a friend to talk to. You don't have to be really close. Sometimes it's better you're not.

But please, let her direct it. Do not go in with a sympathy smile or any of that. Just treat and speak to her exactly as you would have before her injury.

Advertisement