Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File size for images used on the web.

Options
  • 12-07-2013 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what size you make your photos when uploading them to the web or sending to a client?

What's the best way to save images for the web? I've been using large JPEG's which seems to work ok for facebook and my website, but is there a better way I could be doing it while still keeping the best image quality?

I use PS Elements 10 to edit and save my photos.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

For web: Reduce dimensions to anything from 650px to 1000px on the long side and reduce jpeg quality to something in the 60 to 80 range (sRGB color space of course) and you should be fine.

For clients: Depends on what their needs are. I find most clients these days just want a high res jpeg. I give them images that are 4000px on the long side at max quality.

Sometimes commercial clients or publications will have specific criteria they need fulfilled, but they should communicate that to you themselves. If not, ask them what it is exactly that they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    What's the best way to save images for the web? I've been using large JPEG's which seems to work ok for facebook and my website, but is there a better way I could be doing it while still keeping the best image quality?
    I think facebook recompresses them anyway to keep the site as fast as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

gloobag wrote: »
    For web: Reduce dimensions to anything from 650px to 1000px on the long side and reduce jpeg quality to something in the 60 to 80 range (sRGB color space of course) and you should be fine.

For clients: Depends on what their needs are. I find most clients these days just want a high res jpeg. I give them images that are 4000px on the long side at max quality.

sometimes commercial clients or publications will have specific criteria they need fulfilled, but they should communicate that to you themselves. If not, ask them what it is exactly that they need.

I mostly do TF work for model portfolios so they usually don't have any specific needs except for posting their photos online.

My main issue is emailing photos, which is very slow if I'm sending hi res photos.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    I think facebook recompresses them anyway to keep the site as fast as possible.

I didn't know that. Although isn't there an option on facebook to upload photos at maximum quality, only it takes a lot longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I mostly do TF work for model portfolios so they usually don't have any specific needs except for posting their photos online.

My main issue is emailing photos, which is very slow if I'm sending hi res photos.

Just use one of the many cloud storage options out there. Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, MS SkyDrive. All of them give you about 5Gb of storage with a free account.

Upload your files, share the link with your client/model. Once they have the files, delete them to make space for the next persons images.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I didn't know that. Although isn't there an option on facebook to upload photos at maximum quality, only it takes a lot longer?

It's probably not Maximum quality, I think the highest resolution they support is 2000px. So if you upload a 3000px image at normal sizes it'll probably be equivalent of quality 50 in Photoshop and maximum may be 80 or so.

Best thing to do is test it yourself and see :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

A great alternative for sending files (up to 2GB) :

https://www.wetransfer.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Try Jpeg Mini to get the file sizes down.

Advertisement