Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kayaking areas

Options
  • 12-07-2013 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi guys, Does anyone know of any places in Ireland particularly Leinster or close to Leinster where you can kayak for free without a permit? Also can you Kayak for free at Lexlip reservoir?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Afaik Ireland doesn't have the permit system like the uk. I've never paid to kayak anywhere anyway.

What grade are you paddling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Do you guys have any tips for kayaking? Going sea kayaking for the first time on Sunday and I've never gone before...

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Spectreon666

Arawn wrote: »
    Afaik Ireland doesn't have the permit system like the uk. I've never paid to kayak anywhere anyway.

What grade are you paddling?

Blessington lakes you need a permit not sure of any other places. Looking back over my original post I should have mentioned more on the fact that I'm looking for lakes or similar.

I'm a complete noob at kayaking so probably won't be taking on rivers any time soon in the kayak I have. Just to mention my kayak is a decent 2 person inflatable. Not like the one in Lidl..the one I have is a lot better and tougher material.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aoriordan

I am hoping to go kayaking on the lakes inside Killarney park, there are signs saying a permit is required....where can they be got and how much are they? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Abandon Kerry , come up to Cavan, you can kayak on about 1000 miles of lake shore line . Paddle across the border and then up to Enniskillen, tie up and have a meal etc. Head for Ballyshannon through the two Lough Erne's.
    No permits needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

@ maguic24: Here are two blog posts I did a while back about heading out paddling and staying safe; plus a capsise rescue:
    http://tinyurl.com/p5wpfku
    http://tinyurl.com/lbhkytl

Presume you've got the normal safety things ticked; like three of you on the water for safety, buoyancy aids, etc...

@ aoriordan: Park Rangers Office on way out to Torc Waterfall is the place to get your permit. They're pretty strict for good reason, as there are some enviromental risks they are trying to hold in check. Enjoy your paddling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

wicklow town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Maximus71

@ aoriordan..... as NathanKingerlee said Killarney Ranger station on the way out to Torc Waterfall.The permit is free. You need to power wash your Kayak @ a petrol station and hold on to your receipt and present this at the ranger station. Power washing is required in attempting to spread invasive species such as zebra mussel,Japanese Knotweed etc. Hope this helps !

Advertisement