Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

canceling direct debit or closing bank account?

Options
  • 12-07-2013 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm customer with Meteor for 1 year and never had any issues with them up to now.
    They have overcharged on my bill and it's not justified at all.
    I called the customer care, spoke with 2 agents since yesterday, raised the issue to another team.
    Then I spoke with a manager, but he keep saying the overcharge is correct, and I totally disagree with that.I told him I want to pay my bill but only for what I use, no more.
    Now,I was thinking to cancel the direct debit but I read they can submit later a new direct debit to the bank.
    So, do you think if I close my bank account and opening an new one, they won't be able to charge me anymore in the future?I don't have any other direct debits with other companies, it doesnt't bother me to get a new bank account if that can avoid bad surpises in the future.
    I don't want to close my bank account but the girl in AIB told me even if the direct debit is canceled with the bank and meteor, they "might" still be able to take the money out ....
    Thank you for your answers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'd start by writing a registered letter of complaint to Meteor first (or talking to their reps on here), outlining why you think you were overcharged, and the amount.

If you close your bank account and get a new one, they won't be able to access your funds, but the bill will remain outstanding, and, depending on the amount/how they're feeling there is a potential for them to take you to court for the amount owed. Probably unlikely, but it could happen.

Personally I'd try sort it out with them again before closing bank accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭holidays1805

Thanks for the answer.
    but the time they received the letter,the money will already be taken from my account.
    I wanted and I will sent a letter to the meteor head office explaining the issue but it will take time.They charged me nearly 200 euros above than they should.the manager purposed me a 50 % discount but i refuse as I don't want to pay for something that shouldn't have to be charge

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ask for the managers name. Mention the Small Claims Court, and see if their tune changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks for the answer.
    but the time they received the letter,the money will already be taken from my account.
    I wanted and I will sent a letter to the meteor head office explaining the issue but it will take time.They charged me nearly 200 euros above than they should.the manager purposed me a 50 % discount but i refuse as I don't want to pay for something that shouldn't have to be charge

Sounds like you used data incorrectly. Why do you assume it's a fault on their side not yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

the_syco wrote: »
    Ask for the managers name. Mention the Small Claims Court, and see if their tune changes.

What exactly would you bring them to the small claims court over?

The telecom companies rarely get the bills wrong, usually the customers just haven't bothered to check the terms of their tariff

The OP would have a contract with Meteor and is liable for charges on the account, cancelling the DD or closing the bank account would be the last thing that you should do in this situation

The OP should instruct their bank to return the DD unpaid as
    a code 4 - "Advance notice disputed" . As a member of the IPSO Direct Debit scheme, the bank are required to adhere to the rules of the IPSO DD scheme. (under the new SEPA DD scheme from 1st Feb 2014, you can instruct your bank to reverse a direct debit upto 8 weeks after the transaction "no questions asked")

The OP should check the usage and charges on the bill against the advertised tariff charges and then they should probably take the offer of 50% they were offered by the manager

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Sounds like you used data incorrectly. Why do you assume it's a fault on their side not yours?

I never said it was data but it is...
    I assume there is a problem on their side because:
    - The meteor network is awfully slow and I really can't see how i could exceed the allowance.
    - I use the broadband in the same way like the past 12 months, no more, no less and I never been overcharged and I sincerely don't see anything that could let me suppose I could have exceed the allowance .

jahalpin wrote: »
    What exactly would you bring them to the small claims court over?

The telecom companies rarely get the bills wrong, usually the customers just haven't bothered to check the terms of their tariff

The OP would have a contract with Meteor and is liable for charges on the account, cancelling the DD or closing the bank account would be the last thing that you should do in this situation

The OP should instruct their bank to return the DD unpaid as
    a code 4 - "Advance notice disputed" . As a member of the IPSO Direct Debit scheme, the bank are required to adhere to the rules of the IPSO DD scheme. (under the new SEPA DD scheme from 1st Feb 2014, you can instruct your bank to reverse a direct debit upto 8 weeks after the transaction "no questions asked")

The OP should check the usage and charges on the bill against the advertised tariff charges and then they should probably take the offer of 50% they were offered by the manager

I totally agree with the fact I have to pay my bill.
    When I said i want to close the bank account,it's the time to have this sort out with Meteor.
    I will send a register letter to their head office but i don't know how long time It would take to go back to me and I don't want them to take 200 euros before it is sorted.
    And I still have another credit card to pay my bills.
    I don't refuse to pay my bills, I just want to pay for what I use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You seem to be completely over-reacting to all this. Many DD customers have queries with payments and can sort it out. Do as already explained to you by having the DD returned pending clearance of a dispute and get a grip. Cancelling your bank account is a nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I have had issues with Meteor before where their data connection seems to get stuck in a never-ending cycle of use, nothing gets downloaded but the connection is open and consuming data. this is a glitch with their systems but they will never admit to it as they would have to then search out every customer affected and refund them all the data traffic they were charged for which they didn't consume.

You seem to be completely over-reacting to all this. Many DD customers have queries with payments and can sort it out. Do as already explained to you by having the DD returned pending clearance of a dispute and get a grip. Cancelling your bank account is a nonsense.

I have to admit I do over-react.I'm not used to receive this kind of joke if I can say.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I have had issues with Meteor before where their data connection seems to get stuck in a never-ending cycle of use, nothing gets downloaded but the connection is open and consuming data. this is a glitch with their systems but they will never admit to it as they would have to then search out every customer affected and refund them all the data traffic they were charged for which they didn't consume.

I know,it's like that most of the time.It's so so slow.It looks like you are always connected on 3G, not hsdpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I never said it was data but it is...
    I assume there is a problem on their side because:
    - The meteor network is awfully slow and I really can't see how i could exceed the allowance.
    - I use the broadband in the same way like the past 12 months, no more, no less and I never been overcharged and I sincerely don't see anything that could let me suppose I could have exceed the allowance .

You could have installed an app recently or an already installed app may have malfunctioned that's eating data . You may have been tethering on a plan it's not allowed on and just got caught. Most phones have a data usage tracker built in so you may be able to determine if you are using the data or not.

I only use a user account on the computer and if an app needs to be installed, a password is required.and I didn't install anythoig on the computer for months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Because its never the costumers fault

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

lala88 wrote: »
    Because its never the costumers fault

Sometimes it is.

I've seen some pretty terrible costumes :pac:

Advertisement