Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake Microsoft Removal Help

Options
  • 12-07-2013 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Right so my friend has fallen for the cold calling pretending to by microsoft saying you have viruses on your computer scam.

What are my options in helping him fix it?

Remove the remote software?

System restore?

Full reinstall?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Cancel his credit card would be first on the list, if possible do a chargeback for any funds they took - assuming they got that far ?

Disconnect fron the internet and remove any remote access software installed. Run malware and AV software at the very least but for the most part these scams are to get money rather than install malware.

That said I'd be uncomfortable knowing someone had complete access to a computer of mine so I'd almost definitely do a reinstall after backing up my personal files.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

Thanks ken. He didn't make it to the credit card stage fortunately enough!

I have him disconnect his computer from the Internet as soon as he ran me.

I'll be dropping up to his later on to try sort it out.

Good to hear that they don't actively install malware. But I will run malware bytes and his AV.

Any other tips on something I have missed would be welcomed.

L

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Hi my brother is on the same boat, now computer wont turn on? he figured it was a scam as soon as they started asked for money and then immeidatly turned off the computer. Any suggestions please help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

gillapino wrote: »
    Hi my brother is on the same boat, now computer wont turn on? he figured it was a scam as soon as they started asked for money and then immeidatly turned off the computer. Any suggestions please help!!

What I did on my friends computer was to find the files he downloaded.
    So I went into the browser he used to download the files and located the downloaded files from there. (they weren't in the uninstall programs section)
    He has something called TeamViewerQS installed. I deleted them, then restarted his PC.

The code thing you need to pay for pooped up, so I restarted again, then when into one boot menus and it said there were issue to be resolved. I let it do its thing, then loaded up normally.

Ran malwarebytes and his antivirus and everything seems normal now.

He barely thanked me after all that, the git!:eek:

Thanks for the help, but did your friend have any problems turning the computer on? a window what pop up saying this computer has been configured and to enter a password or the typical black screen with white writing comes up and gives an option to restart it again and solve the problem but it just keeps loading and takes ages and nothings happening! I am not an expert on computers at all, would you suggest i bring it to a repair shop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

try entering through safe mode gilla. (press F8 continually when you start up the PC) If that works, you should be able to delete the virus.

Or grab the re-install disks and just wipe it/reformat it.

However if there are files that they want to keep, plug the harddrive into another computer, via sata/usb and back up the files first.

Repair shops generally charge a min of 60euro, and thats before even looking at it!.
    But if you do choose to go that route, try posting in the dublin region forum for info on any local trusted shops.

Hiya looking around! Thanks so much for your help, but i've tried safe mode as the virus/ malware has removed all restore points, so just gonna have to re install Windows 7 and try back up everything, luckily theres not too much on the laptop so should be okay. Its quite an elaborate scam! I got my brother to change all his passwords to be on the safe side too.

yeah, there's a few ):...

luckily less people are falling for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fixmypc.ie

***PLEASE NOTE: Do not attempt this if you are not sure what you are doing*****

Most Fake AntiVirus (FAV) can block internet access, wont allow .exe to run etc. Possible solution:

1. Press F8, boot into safe mode with command prompt option, when on command windows type "explorer" to launch GUI - Install MalwareBytes (MB) update from internet (You may have to connect to Ethernet if WiFi is not working). If no internet connection download offline definitions of MB and install 'em. This should fix the issue.

2. Download "HijackThis" and scan your laptop, you can see all the process, start-up entries etc. select and hit fix any dodgy applications. One way to recognize them - at the end of the entry look for xxxxxxxxxx.exe where xxxxxxxxxx is the file name. dodgy applications file name do not make sense or is mostly jumbled up.

Restart n it should work fine for you. If all fails, you would need to take the HDD out and scan it using a different computer. Windows re-install is an option too.

Above programs can be found by just googling it, if having trouble let me know I will post links :)

Hi thanks for your help everybody! The laptop is working again had to re install windows 7 and managed to save all the files! But lost all the programs! Like mircrosoft word, PowerPoint etc! Don't have a disc for it as they installed it in the shop the laptop was bought in! Any way around that one? Thanks again for your help and suggestions!

• Advertisement

word get started

I think for win 7..microsoft has the office and then a slim down office for free.
    link above should be the slimmed down one. If not, there is one just need to find it.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Also google stuff like "powerpoint alternative" or something like that. I like OpenOffice as a free alternative to MS Word, and Foobar player for music, VLC for video, etc.

he should be able to download media player direct from microsoft, so long as his OS is legit.

Advertisement