Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springsteen: "rock-influenced, traditional Irish-Catholic hymns"

Options
  • 12-07-2013 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

I know it's not the best source but the current version of Springsteen's Wikipedia entry is " Springsteen attended the St. Rose of Lima Catholic school in Freehold Borough, where he was at odds with the nuns and rejected the strictures imposed upon him, even though some of his later music reflects a Catholic ethos and included a few rock-influenced, traditional Irish-Catholic hymns." However, the reputed source in the article for this sentence is Glory Days: Bruce Springsteen in the 1980s. Dave Marsh, 1987, pg. 88–89.

Is there any substance to this? Does anybody have an example of one of his songs which reflects this? Thanks. (was just listening to Glen Hansard singing Springsteen's praises)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

Wrecking Ball is Springsteen's most Catholic album yet. As Fr. Andrew Greeley has said: "If you're Catholic when you're five years old, you're Catholic for the rest of you're life.

See This American Land.

For your interest, one of my favorite Springsteen songs:

Tonight, tonight the strip's just right
    I wanna blow 'em off in my first heat
    Summer's here and the time is right
    For racin' in the street

Not particularly Catholic, but awesome none the less

Advertisement