Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headsets - how east to replace

Options
  • 12-07-2013 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭

I need to replace a headset in one of my bikes.
    Given that te bike needs new cables and chain (which are jobs that I routinely do myself) I would prefer also to replace the headset (which is a job that I have never done myself).

For someone that is hopelessly inept with diy type work how easy or difficult is it in practice to replace the headset.
    I am nit sure but I think that it is an integrated 1 1/8 inch headset.

What tools do I need and what headset should I go for?

Bike is in Kerry so it is a bit of hassle to bring to bike mechanic.

I have the Park Tools bike maintenance handbook if that helps. They make everything seem easy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Generally, no tools are needed, it's a drop in replacement. (sometimes a press is required, but I'd say it's fairly rare these days)

Haven't had any trouble changing (or installing) headsets on any of my bikes.

What frame is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

ROK ON wrote: »

It's very easy, assuming that you buy the correct headset.

My advice is to correlate any info you get by googling the stock headset for the bike, and whatever you can read on the bearings actually in the bike.

Iirc, there's two angles used, 36 and 45. The outside diameter should be standard, but I measured mine just in case when replacing as the 2 options were only a couple of mm different.

As regards tools, I used whatever Allen keys I needed to undo the stem. Aheadset "just" comes apart after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

ROK ON wrote: »
    I need to replace a headset in one of my bikes.
    Given that te bike needs new cables and chain (which are jobs that I routinely do myself) I would prefer also to replace the headset (which is a job that I have never done myself).

For someone that is hopelessly inept with diy type work how easy or difficult is it in practice to replace the headset.

What tools do I need and what headset should I go for?

Bike is in Kerry so it is a bit of hassle to bring to bike mechanic.

I have the Park Tools bike maintenance handbook if that helps. They make everything seem easy.

It's a piece of cake. You will need an allen key (If you have a torque wrench great, but not to worry if you don't) and some grease.

There are a few different standard of headsets, do you know what type is on your bike atm or do you have a link to your exact model? A picture of the headtube might also serve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Frame is a Kuota Kebel.

No idea at all as to the headset, but tooling the frame this morning yelled menthat it is likely to be a INOX integrated headset - 1 1/8.

I will check when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

I think this is what you need, although they come with shorter top caps if you need. It look like your frame uses a 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 tapered headset.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

did you ever attempt this?

how do you install the headset without a press, as was suggested?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 twinges in the hinges

I recently installed a press in head set - simples!

Forget about fancy tools. Buy a length of threaded bar and some nuts to suit in Woodies or B&Q. Get some really large washers and all you have to do is run the bar trough the head tube and tighten the nuts until the cups press home. You Tube is great for this stuff. just search for install a headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭C3PO

If you can replace cables you can replace headset bearings! As other posters have said the only problem is making sure you get the correct bearings! I usually find it's best to remove them from the bike and bring them to my LBS to ensure that I get the right ones - more difficult in Kerry obviously! I would also take careful note of the order that the various spacers and washers come out - sometimes not as obvious as you would imagine!

Advertisement