Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trinity Hall Internet Access

• 12-07-2013 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone,

I'm considering going to Trinity Hall in September, and the title says it all.

How is the WiFi signal?
    Is there an ethernet port in each room?
    What is the speed like? Anyone have numbers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

There is no wifi signal.
    There is an ethernet port in each room.
    I was getting 80 mb/s DL and 40ish ping on speedtest.

Lots of ports are blocked. Should you want to use utorrent or play games you'll need to join the pirate party.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fland

80 mb/s sounds right, it's what I was getting most of the time.
    You'll see a lot of wifi networks around though, because most people with macs use the 'internet sharing' feature to broadcast a wifi signal from their ethernet connection. I did it, it's useful so you can get wifi on your phone or whatever, the mobile reception indoors is awful - a result of the soundproofing, people said (this also means your broadcast wifi signal won't reach far out of your room btw). I'm sure you can do this with a windows machine too.

This all applies to the modern buildings, not Cunningham House by the way - they get wifi (not sure on the quality).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Robscrob

Thanks for the info guys. That speed would be great. Don't get anything like that here in Kerry.
    There is an ethernet port in each room.

Are there two in the twin rooms, do you know?

Also, yeah I'd intend on some gaming. What's the pirate party?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fland

Robscrob wrote: »
    Are there two in the twin rooms, do you know?

Also, yeah I'd intend on some gaming. What's the pirate party?
    Yeah, twin rooms have two desks, and there's an ethernet port at each desk.

DU Pirate Party run a VPN (pirates.ie), if you're a member (small fee) you get access - I guess you can route some blocked ports through it. Then again, you could use any paid/free VPN solution? I never bothered. You'll probably end up wanting some method to get past it all, even offline gaming on Steam is a pain without the necessary ports to even get Steam open and download something.

Basically, you'll be able to browse webpages, direct download some stuff and use Skype, and that's about it without any trickery.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭EmmetOT

If you're in the Cunningham you get wifi. Also, the reception area and the common area have wifi, and if you're lucky enough to be very close to either of those then you can usually pick it up.

Many laptops these days can also send out a wifi signal, so you can plug your laptop into an ethernet port and send out wifi for use on other devices too.

(Also, Spotify works. :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 dowdalla

hiya, my name is alan dowdall and i hail from dundalk in the beautiful wee county of louth! last year (the 2012-2013 academic year) i myself took up residency in trinity halls having been accepted into the prestigious university thanks to my above average leaving cert results. i chose to stay in cunningham house rather than the traditional appartment. and oh wow-ee i really loved it! apart from meeting lovely people, the best thing was WIFI!!!!!!!! if you've any probs or qs just contact me okay? xoxo Dowdy.

Advertisement