Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish in Distress

Options
  • 12-07-2013 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭

"Inland Fisheries Ireland are seeking the help of anglers and the general public to report any sightings of distressed fish due to high water temperatures or low water levels. Inland Fisheries Ireland would also request that anglers voluntarily cease using keep nets during this period, so as not to cause unintentional distress to fish kept for long periods in these nets.
    Reports may be made to the local fisheries offices (listed below) or the 24 hour hotline number on 1890 34 74 24. Inland Fisheries Ireland staff will continue to monitor water bodies for any signs of distressed fish in shallow water, but may be able to react more quickly to timely reports received.
    Low water levels and high water temperatures may lead to fish kills’, stated CEO of Inland Fisheries Ireland Dr Ciaran Byrne, ‘ and as the temperatures for salmon and trout are perilously hot at the moment, fish kills may be unavoidable. In many instances, moving fish may also prove too stressful. Anglers practicing catch and release during this hot spell may wish to consider desisting from fishing until conditions are more favourable.’
    Minister Fergus O Dowd stated ‘I urge everyone to please be vigilant and help conserve our wonderful inland fisheries resource’."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

There have been a few problems around due to weather. A club got on to me a couple of days ago about dead fish in the Lung river. IFI were informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I wonder will they be as quick to respond as they are when Poaching of course fish is reported ?

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

uch wrote: »
    I wonder will they be as quick to respond as they are when Poaching of course fish is reported ?

While that may be true, it does not take from the fact that we as anglers should be conscious of the stress on fish at the moment. That's all the quote was intended for - not to discuss the effectiveness of the IFI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

uch wrote: »

In the area I'm familiar with (The Boyne catchment) there is no difference in a report concerning Coarse or Game fish. They are all responded to, as far as is practical. I would be confident that in the last ten years the number of fines/ court proceedings brought would hughly be weighted in favour of Course fish offences.
    So your assertion is completly wrong in the area I'm familiar with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Bizzum wrote: »
    In the area I'm familiar with (The Boyne catchment) there is no difference in a report concerning Coarse or Game fish. They are all responded to, as far as is practical. I would be confident that in the last ten years the number of fines/ court proceedings brought would hughly be weighted in favour of Course fish offences.
    So your assertion is completly wrong in the area I'm familiar with.

It's the same in my area, even though soarse fishing would be less than 5% of the fisheries/no. of anglers in the area. More fines given out for breach of coarse fishing bye-laws than any other species...

• Advertisement

"Inland Fisheries Ireland are seeking the help of anglers and the general public to report any sightings of distressed fish due to high water temperatures or low water levels. Inland Fisheries Ireland would also request that anglers voluntarily cease using keep nets during this period, so as not to cause unintentional distress to fish kept for long periods in these nets.
    Reports may be made to the local fisheries offices (listed below) or the 24 hour hotline number on 1890 34 74 24. Inland Fisheries Ireland staff will continue to monitor water bodies for any signs of distressed fish in shallow water, but may be able to react more quickly to timely reports received.
    Low water levels and high water temperatures may lead to fish kills’, stated CEO of Inland Fisheries Ireland Dr Ciaran Byrne, ‘ and as the temperatures for salmon and trout are perilously hot at the moment, fish kills may be unavoidable. In many instances, moving fish may also prove too stressful. Anglers practicing catch and release during this hot spell may wish to consider desisting from fishing until conditions are more favourable.’
    Minister Fergus O Dowd stated ‘I urge everyone to please be vigilant and help conserve our wonderful inland fisheries resource’."

Sorry, just to bring this back to the topic. This has nothing to do with the effectiveness of IFI or game versus coarse fishing. It's about being aware of stress on fish at the moment due to the weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

While that may be true, it does not take from the fact that we as anglers should be conscious of the stress on fish at the moment. That's all the quote was intended for - not to discuss the effectiveness of the IFI.

Just an observation.

21/25

Water temps his 25/26C on some rivers last week. That can be very dangerous for salmonid fish. The warmer the water, the less dissolved oxygen is available, and the greater the danger if any polluting matter enters the river, even in tiny amounts. High temps are forecast again for later this week, and with hay and silage making in full swing the potential for pollution is there... keep an eye out!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Zzippy wrote: »
    Water temps his 25/26C on some rivers last week. That can be very dangerous for salmonid fish. The warmer the water, the less dissolved oxygen is available, and the greater the danger if any polluting matter enters the river, even in tiny amounts. High temps are forecast again for later this week, and with hay and silage making in full swing the potential for pollution is there... keep an eye out!

On the flip side less rain, less 'stuff' getting washed into rivers. (Not as simple as that I know but valid none the less)

Flysfisher wrote: »
    On the flip side less rain, less 'stuff' getting washed into rivers. (Not as simple as that I know but valid none the less)

Less rain means water heats more easily, less oxygen, and anything spilled in not diluted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

You're spot on. Mostly. What's this hay making and potential pollution lark? The lads in the west have funny ways but I've never heard them causing pollution when making hay:P

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭whelzer

I fished the Erkina and Nore last night 7pm to 1am ish, although I nearly didn't more out of "sure leave the poor things alone" attitude than anything else. Glad I went now! The fish were not dour or down - they were in fact fierce and in really, really good condition. Even the little ones seemed fat and feisty.

General theme of this thread is spot on however - in this heat our fish need us all on high alert. I have IFI and club people in a separate Group on my phone which I can access in 2 clicks.

whelzer wrote: »
    I fished the Erkina and Nore last night 7pm to 1am ish, although I nearly didn't more out of "sure leave the poor things alone" attitude than anything else. Glad I went now! The fish were not dour or down - they were in fact fierce and in really, really good condition. Even the little ones seemed fat and feisty.

General theme of this thread is spot on however - in this heat our fish need us all on high alert. I have IFI and club people in a separate Group on my phone which I can access in 2 clicks.

Good to hear they're feeding well. Just a tip for everyone - take a bit longer to hold fish when releasing them, with lower oxygen levels they can become a lot more stressed when hooked, so give them plenty of time to revive before letting them go back

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

I think one thing that should definitely be done is postpone all pike competitions during these conditions..

Advertisement