Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the difference?

Options
  • 12-07-2013 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,772 ✭✭✭

What's the difference between a hosted private forum (such as ODG) and a non hosted private forum (such as Ranting & Raving)?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hosted forums have hmods, private forums have normal mods. Hosted forums may or may not be private, and tend to be public. Private forums are obviously private always.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,772 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

so there's no real difference between them? Or for hosted forums are boards just acting as a conduit for them?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hosted forums are essentially external communities given a home on boards.ie. They're outside the normal mod structure as well.

Spear wrote: »
    Hosted forums are essentially external communities given a home on boards.ie. They're outside the normal mod structure as well.

so is it accurate to say that what goes on in a hosted forum (if there was any illegal activity or posts) wouldn't cause boards.ie any hassle? I'm not asking this as the HMod of ODG by the way, just thinking can the hosted forum solution be applied to the thunderdome?

so is it accurate to say that what goes on in a hosted forum (if there was any illegal activity or posts) wouldn't cause boards.ie any hassle? I'm not asking this as the HMod of ODG by the way, just thinking can the hosted forum solution be applied to the thunderdome?

The office team may need to comment on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

so is it accurate to say that what goes on in a hosted forum (if there was any illegal activity or posts) wouldn't cause boards.ie any hassle?

It most certainly would.

Basically anything that is posted/hosted on Boards.ie servers, Boards.ie is liable for.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    It most certainly would.

Basically anything that is posted/hosted on Boards.ie servers, Boards.ie is liable for.

Thanks Tom, I wasn't trying to cause any hassle or anything, just thinking that a hosted forum might act as a solution to the current impasse regarding the dome.

Not that i posted there, but i was one of the legions of lurkers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Thanks Tom, I wasn't trying to cause any hassle or anything, just thinking that a hosted forum might act as a solution to the current impasse regarding the dome.

Of course, I didn't take it any other way, don't worry. It is a valid question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement