Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about multiple stopovers

Options
  • 12-07-2013 6:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all!
    I will be heading off on a holiday to Trinidad in September for a month. Unfortunately there are no direct flights and the cheapest option was a multi-stop adventure with stops in Chicago, Orlando and Miami on the way and stops in Miami, JFK and Heathrow on my return. It's going to be my first time travelling alone and I just want to ask a few things so I don't have to worry about it for the time being.

1. Would anyone know from previous experiences whether my bags will be checked straight through to my final destination or whether I will have to pick them up in the first port of call/all ports of call?

2. I have around 2 hours 30 minutes in Orlando, Heathrow and JFK, would I be against the clock here as I know that these airports are quite large and from past experience with American airports, the security is tighter and more time consuming than most others.

3. I have a lengthy 12 hour overnight stay in Miami airport, could anyone advise as to what there would be to do for such a period? Would there be many on-site facilities open?

4. And finally, if you were to rate American Airlines on the overall experience you had with them, how would they score? Food is not really a factor because I grimace at the sight of Airplane food.

Thank you in advance for anyone who can help me with any of the above.
    Kind Regards,
    Ian. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

BMTHian. wrote: »
    Hi all!
    I will be heading off on a holiday to Trinidad in September for a month. Unfortunately there are no direct flights and the cheapest option was a multi-stop adventure with stops in Chicago, Orlando and Miami on the way and stops in Miami, JFK and Heathrow on my return. It's going to be my first time travelling alone and I just want to ask a few things so I don't have to worry about it for the time being.

1. Would anyone know from previous experiences whether my bags will be checked straight through to my final destination or whether I will have to pick them up in the first port of call/all ports of call?

They will in all likelyhood be checked through. However pack overnight essentials and maybe a change in your carry on. Bags have a habit of showing up later.
    2. I have around 2 hours 30 minutes in Orlando, Heathrow and JFK, would I be against the clock here as I know that these airports are quite large and from past experience with American airports, the security is tighter and more time consuming than most others.

You don't need to go through security again just follow the signs for connecting flights. 2 hours 30 minutes is plenty.
    3. I have a lengthy 12 hour overnight stay in Miami airport, could anyone advise as to what there would be to do for such a period? Would there be many on-site facilities open?

Get a taxi into town and eat Cuban food.
    4. And finally, if you were to rate American Airlines on the overall experience you had with them, how would they score? Food is not really a factor because I grimace at the sight of Airplane food.

AA are fine in my experience - at least they are not US Airways.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 BMTHian.

Thanks for your prompt reply, and you've pretty much covered everything and put my worries at rest. If I could pick your brain once more...
    MadsL wrote: »
    Get a taxi into town and eat Cuban food.
    I was wondering about the possibility of doing this because I'd love to head down to Biscayne bay and re-live some old memories but I only really want to do it if it would cause me no hassle. Do you know whether it would spell more trouble than staying airside?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

BMTHian. wrote: »
    Thanks for your prompt reply, and you've pretty much covered everything and put my worries at rest. If I could pick your brain once more...

I was wondering about the possibility of doing this because I'd love to head down to Biscayne bay and re-live some old memories but I only really want to do it if it would cause me no hassle. Do you know whether it would spell more trouble than staying airside?

Why would it spell trouble - you could certainly spend a few hours downtown for the price of a taxi ride. Miami isn't the safest downtown in the US but a taxi in to a restaurant followed by a couple of cocktails at one of the waterfront spots isn't gonna be dangerous. Get a taxi back up to the airport when you are done.

A 12 hour overnight connection I'd usually get a hotel for, but there is the added stress of missing the flight if you are a heavy sleeper like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 BMTHian.

I'm pretty familiar with Miami so I wouldn't mind going downtown, but I just wouldn't want to be caught in traffic on the way back to the airport, but I suppose that would all depend on my timekeeping. Thanks for all the help MadsL! Appreciate it!

Advertisement