Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there many students from Northern Ireland study at universities in the republic?

Options
  • 12-07-2013 4:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hello all,

Im new on this forum, this is my first post.

Im a 23 year old man living in the north. Im thinking about returning to education; I regret not going to university and not having a degree. Im facing redundancy in my current job.

I would like to know are there many students from the north studying in the republic? Particularly the Dublin universities?

I am quite interested in universities in the south, for a few reasons:

* respectability/reputation-some people say the Irish education system is superior to that of the UK (I dont know if this is true)
    * lower cost of education than up north/UK
    * plenty of choice- if I was to limit myself to universities in the north, I would just be choosing between 2 universities
    * I have a burning desire to experience somewhere new, get out of my current boring town and way of life

Its only a thought at this stage, the CAO process seems confusing to me(it probably isnt, but im just used to 'UCAS' system) and also I think universities in the republic have quite high entry requirements.

students from the north studying on the other side of the border is not something I hear much about, it actually seems quite uncommon to me
    Thanks a million for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Young Northern Man

No one at all??!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I don't really see much to reply to in that post but I've never met anyone from the North in college here. And you are too old for the CAO you need to apply directly to the college as a mature student.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Young Northern Man

GarIT wrote: »
    I don't really see much to reply to in that post but I've never met anyone from the North in college here. And you are too old for the CAO you need to apply directly to the college as a mature student.

thanks

Ive never really heard of students from the North studying on the other side of the border either. it doesnt seem very common

Advertisement