Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping Companies

Options
  • 11-07-2013 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

Am moving to Amsterdam in a few weeks and will be bringing suitcases with me but as Aer Lingus only allow 20kgs per customer I will need a shipping company to post everything else.

Does anyone know a trustworthy shipping company? I've found a few reasonably priced ones online but many of them seem like scams or get bad reviews. Anyone have any advice?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

How much stuff do you want to bring to Amsterdam? It could be worth filling an extra suitcase or two. Depending on the fare you have chosen, it looks like you can book extra bags for 20euro each (one way), up to a maximum of 3 bags per flight. 15euro for 20kg might be better than some quotes you will get for shipping small amounts. Be sure that each case weighs no more than 20kg though, as excess charges will creep up quickly!

Of course, if you're planning to bring furniture or big items, then shipping would be a better option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

biddywiddy wrote: »
    How much stuff do you want to bring to Amsterdam? It could be worth filling an extra suitcase or two. Depending on the fare you have chosen, it looks like you can book extra bags for 20euro each (one way), up to a maximum of 3 bags per flight. 15euro for 20kg might be better than some quotes you will get for shipping small amounts. Be sure that each case weighs no more than 20kg though, as excess charges will creep up quickly!

You have to be really careful with bringing more than 20kg of baggage on a flight, with AerLingus at least, no matter how many bags you pay for your limit is 20kg. Just split over more bags!
    Maximum of 20kg (44lb) in total checked baggage weight per passenger, regardless of the number of bag fees purchased

Source: http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/knowbeforeyoufly/baggageinformation/#d.en.1223

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

My bad.

I most recently flew transatlantic, and the rules were different. 23kg max per bag, and you bring as many bags as you want as long as you're willing to pay!

Thanks for checking that and apologies to the OP for the incorrect advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sini82

Does anyone have any advise in this I wonder? I need to move some stuff to Finland from Dublin in the next few months, no furniture, just some household things, clothes, shoes etc that won't all fit in one suitcase.

I have been looking online, but most companies are either full out moving firms or fed ex type parcel delivery, both of which seem expensive.

Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ballroom blitz

I recently moved to Germany from Dublin and used ras group.
    http://www.ras-group.ie/

They price by size of shipment not weight and I found them good. I shipped 5 large argos storage boxes 55, W46, D46cm for €390. The boxes were collected on a Monday morning and arrived in Germany 9 days later.They were a little bashed looking but nothing damaged or broken.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement