Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus Padfone + Tablet - €339 Delivered [Ebay]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭RaggyDays

Ffs I could have done without seeing this, now I really want one :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

RaggyDays wrote: »
    Ffs I could have done without seeing this, now I really want one :mad:

Yeah, me too..

Hopefully I made you as unhappy as me. ;)

Great price, I just don't have the cash right now.. :(

Nor do i care how daft i may look, talking into a pen.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭El Gato

No problems with it working over here? (Phone is network unlocked?)

El Gato wrote: »
    No problems with it working over here? (Phone is network unlocked?)

I think all padfones are unlocked, but i don't know that for certain.
    It doesn't say on the page, but i'd imagine it is. If it was locked to a network i'd guess they'd mention it.
    Exhibition piece: Like new. In original packaging. 2 year warranty. In Stock, invoice with VAT.

Main features at a glance

Smartphone: Gorilla glass - scratch resistant 4.3 inch AMOLED display
    PadFone station: 25.7 cm (10.1 inch) display
    Due to the integrated battery of the PadFone station can charge the battery of PadFones
    8 megapixel camera with BSI sensor and autofocus with LED flash
    10.1 inch tablet multitouch display with 1280 x 800 pixels
    Up to an incredible 102 hours Talk time *
    PadFone Stylus Headset included

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

was close to pulling the trigger on this but the new padfone (padfone 2) is out already...

• Advertisement

was close to pulling the trigger on this but the new padfone (padfone 2) is out already...

Was the same myself, and not only is the Padfone 2 out the next iteration - Padfone Infinity has also been released.

El Gato wrote: »
    Was the same myself, and not only is the Padfone 2 out the next iteration - Padfone Infinity has also been released.

For over €600.
    Granted, there is noticeable difference between the two but i still think €339 for the Padfone and dock/tablet is a great price, regardless of the Padfone 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

fair play for posting, agreed it's a good offer, didn't want to knock the post, just letting people know that it's old tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

is the phone as good as an iphone?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭RaggyDays

I agree, the original Padfone is really good value. Plus the Padfone 1 is smaller than the new one which I think is better. Why have a big handset when you are plugging it into the tab.
    Also that nice keyboard dock that is on the Youtube vid is only available for the Padfone 1

:mad: Still very angry with you Allyall, I`m trying to save up a few quid

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »
    For over €600.
    Granted, there is noticeable difference between the two but i still think €339 for the Padfone and dock/tablet is a great price, regardless of the Padfone 2.

Oh agreed, very good price indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 4 wash9000

Just wanted to bump this thread with an update on the fourth and latest version of this device which is called the Asus New Padfone Infinity A86 T004. The “New” designation differentiates it from the earlier Padfone Infinity and the main difference is that this version has a slot on the phone for a micro SD card for up to 64GB of external storage. The device comes with choices of 16GB or 32GB of internal storage.

This device is not widely available in Europe as of now (March 2014) - I could only find it on-line on Amazon.de (Germany), Komplett.se (Sweden) and Komplett.no (Norway) with prices upwards of €800. It’s not as yet on Amazon.co.uk for example.

There are a few vendors shipping it worldwide out of Taiwan on eBay – prices have been dropping of late and best price at the moment is €585 for the top of the range 32GB phone and pad station. That’s where I got mine and although it comes with a one year Asus Taiwan warranty, I would hope not to have to seek to use it as the cost of shipping the thing back and trying to communicate would not be pleasant. That’s why I’d prefer if there was a local vendor. There is import duty payable from Taiwan. Mine was shipped by the vendor using DHL and they charged me just over €60 duty. As the device is not a common shape, I also got the Asus covers from the same vendor. There was no duty charge on these.

So it’s a lot of money but you get a lot of device. Mine of course shipped with Chinese set as the default language but once I scrolled the welcome screen and tapped on the word “English”, all the Chinese stuff disappeared. I was still left with a few native Chinese apps that cannot be uninstalled but they can of course be deleted from the Home Screen so you don’t see them anymore and they do not get in your way at all.

The phone part takes a nano-sim card and works fine on Irish networks and according to the manual on European networks. It has limitations on US networks.

The phone part has a 5 inch screen and the tablet part (called the pad station) has a 10 inch screen, Both screens have a full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution with excellent colour and clarity. You can just slide the phone while it is running into the pad station and the station fires up immediately and seamlessly works what ever you had on the phone screen in tablet form. The home screen on the phone and tablet are separate however so you can set up the home screens differently or the same.

The pad station has a battery and a forward facing camera as the forward facing camera on the phone is blocked when slotted in the pad station. When you run the pad station, both batteries are run down at the same rate to maximise time between charges. And yes, you can make and receive telephone calls while the phone is in the pad station.

The processor is very fast and the camera is good, has a low light setting and HD recording. The speaker on the phone is OK and the speakers on the pad station are one of the better I have heard on a tablet. The net internal storage space available on the 32GB version is 24GB and I added a 64GB SDXC card giving a total storage of 88 GB.

Connection to a charger or a computer is via a micro USB port. You can also connect to the HDMI port of a HD TV using a MyDP (or Slimport) to HDMI adaptor not supplied with the device.

The device runs on Android Jellybean 4.2.2 and Asus plan to update to Android Kit Kat 4.4 over the summer. I have Flash Player running on mine. Flash Player is not available from Google for Jellybean and has to be side loaded and set up using the Firefox browser but it runs on this device on the stock Android Browser as well but not on Chrome.

We have a number of iPads, iPhones and a Google Nexus 5 phone in the family. In terms of build quality and performance, this device competes with them so I am happy with it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

How are you all getting on with your padfones? I'm looking for a phone/tablet in one solution and this seems like really the only option out there.

Would anyone know how it compares performance wise to

a) Motorola XT890 Razr i
    b) Sony Z3 compact?

It's not for me, so I just want to get an idea of how powerful it is as I own the two phones above and theres a notable difference between them, so I want to see where the padfone is in comparison :)

Any ideas where's the best place to get one, I don't see any of the mobile providers here offering it on any plans..

I am getting on fine with my ASUS Padfone Infinity A86 32GB 4G LTE Phone (Unlocked) + 10 inch Pad Station. I am not familiar with the Motorola XT890 or the Sony Z3 so I cannot help you there. As I said, it performs well alongside the various iphones (4 & 5) and Google Nexus 5's we have. The build quality is good and seems better than the Nexus 5 made for Google by LG. Although a great performing phone, one Nexus 5 of ours has started random reboot loops, apparently a very common problem on them, often caused by hardware issues on the battery, the on/off switch, the motherboard, etc. I have left my Padfone A86 running the on the Android Jellybean it shipped with. Although Asus have made Android Kit Kat available for it, they have not pushed it as an Over the Air update, you have to manually install it. I have learned to that, to avoid accelerated obsolescence, although counter-intuitive, it's often best to leave these devices running on what they shipped with if they are working OK on that. The only minor negative I have on the Padfone A86 is that the pad station tablet part is too heavy to hold comfortably with one hand for a lengthy period of time.

I also got for another family member, the newer ASUS Padfone S 4G LTE (Unlocked) 64GB 5in Phone+9in Pad Micro SIM PF500KL. It's very similar Padfone A86 and is a little lighter and faster and up to 64GB storage in an external SD card can be added to double up the internal 64GB storage. Build quality does not seem as good to me as in the Padfone A86. Unlike the A86 that has side slots for the SD and SIM cards, in the Padfone S, you have to remove a rather flimsy plastic back cover to install the cards.

You can only get them on eBay.com (not eBay.ie) but the vendors ship worldwide. I got the ASUS Padfone S 4G LTE (Unlocked) 64GB 5in Phone+9in Pad Micro SIM PF500KL from a Taiwan vendor and they are still available. There is only one ASUS Padfone Infinity 2 A86 32GB 4G LTE Phone (Unlocked) + 10 inch Pad Station left on eBay from a Hong Kong vendor at a astronomical price.

Thank you very much for the reply. I wasn't aware of the Padfone S, I tthought the infinity was the latest model and was wondering why there wasn't a newer model as that was released in 2013 I think, so good to see the Padfone S is available with better and newer spec (although maybe not as good build quality but the price of the infinity was much more).

I think this could be a good option for the person its intended for. I compared on gsmarena to the padfone infinity, the sony z3 compact I use now, the motorola xt890 I used before and the motorola xoom which the user currently uses and see that it's closer in spec to the z3 compact I have than any of the others, which is a very positive thing and should fit the needs of the user perfectly.

I searched the term you mentioned and found this listing:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Padfone-S-4G-LTE-Unlocked-64GB-5in-Phone-9in-Pad-Micro-SIM-PF500KL-Black-/171603159020?hash=item27f45867ec

I'm guessing this is the same seller you bought from, it's a good deal I think so I'll probably suggest this. Did you get stung for import duties?

Is there any issues to be aware of with regards the network bands that you know of?
    Network

2G : GSM : 850/900/1800/1900
    3G : WCDMA : 900/1900/2100
    4G: FDD-LTE: 700/900/1800/1900/2100/2600
    *Please check if the cellular network is can be used in your area.
    3G/UMTS list - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UMTS_networks
    4G LTE list - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

Also, is the 64gb version linked to 64gb internal memory, or it just means the seller includes a 64gb card? If it's internal, and the Micro SD allows an additional 64gb, does that mean it can hold 128gb instead of the 16gb version which could only hold 80gb?

Sorry about the double post earlier in my response. The Padfone S ships with Kit Kat and yes that is the vendor, good vendor, no issues, he shipped using DHL and they invoiced me for Duty which was €63. I am not aware of any network issues. It should be OK for Europe. USA is a different story. My network was O2 here in Ireland, now 3.ie and it works fine.

The internal memory on the Padfone S is 64GB of which 10.36GB is reserved for the system leaving you with 53.64GB to which you can add an external SD card (not included by the vendor) of up to 64GB to give you a total usable space of 117.64GB.

One thing to consider if your budget can stretch to it. As this is an odd ball device not common in Europe, getting a cover for the phone or the pad station that fits well will be an issue. Asus provide neat hard wearing covers for both currently available from another Taiwan vendor (no duty payable on these).

Stupid forum rules here (which like on other forums work against low frequency/high quality posters and serve the interests of high frequency/low quality attention seeking nut jobs) means I cannot post URL's so search for:

ASUS Padfone S Side Flip Cover PF500KL smartphone Protective Back case shell

and

ASUS Original Padfone S Station TriCover for PF500KL Dock P93L Stand Case

I really appreciate all the help on this and thanks a lot for all the info with regards capacity etc. I actually see a UK Ebayer has just put up a padfone S 16gb with station and covers. Auction ends in 6 days so going to keep an eye on it :)

I'm more a TPU case man when it comes to mobiles as opposed to flip cover, but I guess either one will have to come off to put the phone in the pad.

Will check the options and keep an eye on that auction, but looks like a good option for the intended user and without your help I wouldn't have realised the S was even in existence as I though the infinity was the latest, so thanks again :)

Just thought I'd post this, I'm pretty sure it's the exact same model as from the Taiwan Seller (although they don't mention it being a padfone PLUS??), it works out around €470 shipped, the Taiwan seller is around €385 but then the risk of import duties of €about 65, so about €20 more expensive from the UK vendor. But maybe warranty issues etc would be better dealt with?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

Allyall wrote: »
    Great price for both the phone and tablet, and cheap enough shipping (€9.95)

CONDITION: NEW (OTHER)

It has disappeared from listings this morning, but apparently they have just got more back in stock.

Seller is Avides, a well known and trusted seller, who also has an Amazon store (The offer may also appear there)
    Amazon UK Store
    Avides Website - and STORE

Some confirmation about them on HUKD

ASUS PadFone 10.9 cm (4.3") Super AMOLED SmartPhone & 25.7 cm (10.1 inch) Tablet - €329

This runs Android 4.0 - Is that not pretty old at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

This runs Android 4.0 - Is that not pretty old at this stage?

Check the date of the post you quoted :P

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    I actually see a UK Ebayer has just put up a padfone S 16gb with station and covers. Auction ends in 6 days so going to keep an eye on it :)

I ended up winning this for £160 which I believe is a pretty good price, it will work out around €250 shipped to Ireland from UK, no import duties etc :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brentmorgan/superscreen?ref=6vr49q&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=desktop&utm_campaign=KS&utm_content=AB_Nordic_KS

Could be a good alternative to the padfone?

The one I ordered above was doing its user well until the mic in the phone itself went and it doesn't really make sense to send it off for repair, £45 for inspection and return postage before they can even quote you for the repair!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

cormie wrote: »
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brentmorgan/superscreen?ref=6vr49q&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=desktop&utm_campaign=KS&utm_content=AB_Nordic_KS

Could be a good alternative to the padfone?

The one I ordered above was doing its user well until the mic in the phone itself went and it doesn't really make sense to send it off for repair, £45 for inspection and return postage before they can even quote you for the repair!:(

Looks interesting but the comments are increasingly mixed.. concerns that it's not technically possible to do what they're claiming with an iPhone (and only Android devices in the promo video), a fake fundraiser campaign on another site, and that the device itself seems to be a Galaxy Tab??

Also the specs of the screen (Quad HD, 4GB RAM, Quad-Core CPU) seem pretty high for a $99 device - unless maybe it's subsidised by a subscription to the app or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I would'nt have much confidence on that lot in the link. Seems to be a money-raising exercise. No delivery until next December. Could be dodgy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement