Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook Pro Retina 13"

Options
  • 11-07-2013 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all, I need a good laptop for music production and day to day tasks.
    I was favoured the MacBook Pro Retina 13" with the upgraded memory to 256gb, because of its portability.
    I will be using it for work during the day and the when I am using it for music production I will have it connected to my tv/monitor via hdmi.
    Question is will it do the trick for running cubase 7 for music production etc, and would it be worth the extra money to upgrade to the i7 from the i5?
    Or would I be better saving a few extra pound and getting the 15" model that has the quad core?
    Any info would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

The retina is impossible to use full scale with music apps (all text etc very, very small) when used on it's own, but handy for driving the larger screens - the 15 is definitely worth it for the cpu. Noisy when being pushed (even with the fancy fans in there)

Running ableton/logic with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

If you are going to be running Cubase 7, there is no need to limit yourself to a Mac. You could probably get a very good i7 Windows based laptop for a fair bit cheaper.

On screen sizes, 15" would be the smallest that I could work with. I have a Cubase mobile recording rig based on a 17" Toshiba and that is fantastic. For everyday work I prefer 15" laptops so a 15" would be the best all rounder.

On Mac vs. PC, the only upside to the Mac is the built in Firewire (but there is none on the retina models). Thunderbolt is good too, though I want to see that "bed in" to the market for a while longer before I make a decision. You need to think about what type of audio interfaces you want to use for your music production. USB2, USB3, Firewire, Thunderbolt. . .

You have a big decision to make purely from an audio point of view. With a better idea there, then you can start to see what brands offer what features which work for your needs the best. If you do it the other way around, I feel there is more chance of making a bad choice for you.

For me, the high end HP laptops and Dell business models have the feature that I want from an audio laptop which is:
    - Multiple hard drive slots
    - Expresscard slot for Firewire
    - Various ports for various reasons.

All the best,
    bbk

Advertisement