Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen dim after replacement

Options
  • 11-07-2013 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

I have a T410 here that had a cracked screen, so I replaced the screen with the exact same type/model screen, connected it all back up and it is very dim (can just about see it). Can dock the laptop and the screen displays on the external monitor. I then replaced the cable that goes from the motherboard to the screen (again exact same make/model etc) and still the same problem. I've now replaced the inverter board and am still having the same problem. Anyone got any more suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

did you get the screen new or second hand? sounds like the light in the screen(I'm sure there's a proper term for that XD) could be gone.

I assume you have messed with all the display settings and stuff so seems like the screen is gone S:

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

The screen is 2nd hand and came out of another T410. Screen was tested before replacement, and I took it apart when I saw the problem and re-tested it in another laptop and it works fine, so not a screen problem unfortunately. I've messed with all the display settings and have had no joy! It works when the laptop is docked so it's not a problem with any settings etc.

I think I may have to replace the motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

sorry ): .. that's crappy

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

did you just replace the screen or did you replace the inverter too. its the small circuit board at the bottom usually with a few wires one side and usually two the other. in the hand in this picture is the inverter http://a137.idata.over-blog.com/5/07/75/22/Lenovo/Replace-Thinkpad-T410-Inverter-5.jpg

maybe swap them and see how that goes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Media999

What do you mean it works when its docked? The screen is at full brightness when its docked? By docked do you mean on charge?

• Advertisement

I replaced the screen, cable from the system board to the screen and the inverter, by docked I mean connected to a docking station.

A system board replacement solved the issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭johneire31

Its the screen, just coz you tested it on another laptop does not send conclusive evidence. Other laptop may be spec'd different in terms of inverter voltage output, configuation etc. If your old screen worked well before it got cracked, then a 'good' screen should work well after replacement. Just to be certain, clean all connectors on the inverter and cables with meths or alcohol and make sure they are properly fitting and making full contact.

For me it would have to be the bulb in the screen is starting to fatigue, while it will light up higher with higher voltage, it is now to dimmed when used using the standard output voltage from the correct inverter output range

It wasn't the screen, the screen was working perfectly fine in the laptop I took it from, and I tested it again after making the replacement to be sure. I must have blown something on the motherboard because as soon as I replaced that it worked fine.

Advertisement