Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bit of photography market research

Options
  • 11-07-2013 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ask members who are into photography a couple of questions, replies would be much appreciated.

( admin please note I am not advertising, just doing a bit of research, I hope that is Ok )

I am considering setting up a photographic studio which will be available for the public to rent. It will be well equipped with modern high quality equipment and a decent enough size.

It will also have dressing room make-up facilities etc.

There will also be a darkroom capable of developing and printing black and white formats up to 4" x 5" and prints upto 20" x 24"

E6 and colour should also be available.

So,

1, Have you rented photographic studio space before.

2, What kind of price. Per hour, per day is attractive to users.

3, Have you used a darkroom before.

4, Do you shoot film or have you plans to shoot film in the future, is it something you have considered etc?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

1, Have you rented photographic studio space before.

Luckily never had the need. I have space in my own place for a large backdrop and to leave my studio lights permanently setup.

If it helps Ive seen spaces advertised for as little as €10 an hour. I'd imagine this wouldn't include any equipment though. I've often suggested to photographers looking for spaces to look into band rehearsal facilities. You can get good sized spaces for 4 - 5 hours for around €60 in most studios.

Nope, I know some people still have a passion for shooting film but I'm sure you know yourself its a fairly limited market these days. Saying that, Im all digital and have always used digital so perhaps somebody with more experience shooting film would know how much of a market there is for darkroom facilities within a studio

4, Do you shoot film or have you plans to shoot film in the future, is it something you have considered etc?

Nope, absolutely no interest in it myself.

Hope thats of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

1. Yes, usually when away but recently in Dublin.
    2. More or less what Splinters says. I've paid €20(and £20stg)/hr for well equipped studios but would expect a lower hourly rate for a longer booking. I've also done the band rehersal space thing on a group shoot.
    3. No
    4. No

Are you doing this in Dublin? Have you checked what's already available locally? And what they charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

1, yes.
    2, price would really depend on what you are offering. Do you just have a back drop and 2 lights or do you have fully equipped studio with a selection of backdrops and modifiers, product tables ect. Most places I have seen are about 15-20 per hour.
    3, yes
    4, yes, yes

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

]1, Have you rented photographic studio space before.

Yes

i think separating the studio/darkroom will be key here, both not used in conjunction really, studio - 70 half day and darkroom 30-50 depending whats provided, tho could share also

yes

I do and would like a few more darkrooms, very underated element of photography

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I'd feel better if this had've been ur 11th post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Mrcamera

Thanks for those replies folks, much appreciated.

I did not mention location as I just want a general idea of what people think no matter where they are from.

The studio will be well equipped, with various softbox, beauty dish, reflectors and other modifiers etc. Good selection of backgrounds also, decent flash meter etc.

The darkroom will be in the same building but a different area.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

1, Have you rented photographic studio space before. - YES

2, What kind of price. Per hour, per day is attractive to users. - Free!

3, Have you used a darkroom before. - Yes

4, Do you shoot film or have you plans to shoot film in the future, is it something you have considered etc? - I have considered it and no, have no plans to do it.

Well it should be competitive but free is going a bit too far :)

Any more ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

invest your money in something elsewhere ...lol... https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056837469

unless you have plenty of business contacts and solid business model...getting people to pay a decent price for something nowadays is very difficult.

There is still money out there, maybe not to the same degree but it's there. I think you just have to find it :)

Are you a working photographer Corkbah ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Mrcamera wrote: »
    There is still money out there, maybe not to the same degree but it's there. I think you just have to find it :)

Are you a working photographer Corkbah ?

over 30yrs of employment as a photographer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

I'd feel better if this had've been ur 11th post.

What on earth has that have to do with anything?
    Just because he's not a member of the elite boards clique doesn't mean that he can't offer a perfectly good service.

Advertisement