Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National Digital Strategy - God help us.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The National Digital Strategy is to "let the market" develop everything and the Government to softly mutter encouragement occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

clohamon wrote: »
    National Digital Strategy
    http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/54AF1E6E-1A0D-413F-8CEB-2442C03E09BD/0/NationalDigitalStrategyforIreland.pdf

Lots of identifying, exploring, enhancing, engaging, encouraging etc.

The word "digital" now means absolutely anything.

Not a word about doing anything just a load of nice sounding platitudes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Must have a quick look over this later. Will be interesting to see when they come back with the report on the coverage of broadband in Ireland and what they plan to do... So we can all have a good laugh..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

• Registered Users Posts: 7,297 ✭✭✭jmcc

See they have the same bolloxology and astrology about the numbers and percentages of Irish businesses online. The "technology" churnalists love that bit of numerology but they are too damned thick to realise that it is flawed.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

this is a whole heap of ****e... why are they so worried about people who don't know what a computer is ? How about servicing the people who do know and rely on them for their work / life...

I'm a techie, working from home, absolutely need decent internet day to day or I face a 100 mile round trip commute to work... I just can't afford that anymore.

I live in Kilmihil, Co. Clare.
    I have another thread on here regarding our lack of ADSL upgrade..

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056243287/5

I'd bet now that we'll get LTE before we get the eircom exchange upgraded to even NGB and Fibre is a million years away...

extremely annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

LTE is unlikely on average to be better than your DSL and is likely to drop out much more often as they get more subscribers.

Also to make a profit LTE needs to be at least x3 more expensive than current 3G packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

sibergoth wrote: »
    this is a whole heap of ****e... why are they so worried about people who don't know what a computer is ? How about servicing the people who do know and rely on them for their work / life...

I'm a techie, working from home, absolutely need decent internet day to day or I face a 100 mile round trip commute to work... I just can't afford that anymore.

I live in Kilmihil, Co. Clare.
    I have another thread on here regarding our lack of ADSL upgrade..

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056243287/5

I'd bet now that we'll get LTE before we get the eircom exchange upgraded to even NGB and Fibre is a million years away...

extremely annoying...

Hi Sibergoth - I had a read of your full thread on the Eircon forum above. I can understand your frustration, but you're lucky you have 2.55Mbps. I'm living outside the small village of Rearcross, Co. Tipp and our exchange currently has SFA.

Luckily about 3 years ago some of the villagers got onto a local FWA provider (Munster Broadband) and they got them to put a sector on their mast that serves Doon, Co. Limerick to point to a repeater on the hill overlooking our village.

I am on the 3Mbps down/1Mbps up, unlimited data tariff and get those speeds pretty consistently. So this lets me work from home adequately (though I don't do the VoIP or Video Chat type thing, as I end up sounding like Type 1 Cylon). :eek:
    2834465503.png
    Take a look at this post and go to the first link there. If you put the marker onto Kilmihil and then tick Wireless ISPs, it will show you a few WISPs (overlapped) that provide coverage to your area.

Selecting the individual WISPs shows that Permanet and Ripplecom both have some coverage in your area.

Both providers have Coverage maps on their sites which are more granular than the IOFFL map, so you may be able to see if they get to your house. They may even offer better speeds than Vodafone or 3.

I've been totally happy on FWA - though I occasionally get to use a UPC 50Mbps pipe in Dublin and can only drool at the speed. :rolleyes:

Good luck with your quest for greater speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

thanks for that...

I tried ripplecon, didn't work out. I gave them my exact location and they told me there was no coverage here.. I'm 1 mile outside the village.

I hadn't heard about Permanet. worth a try I guess, but I don't like the 40GB limit :(

*sigh* !

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CelticTigress

Pleased to hear that my exchange is not the only one still waiting for ADSL. I moved here in 2002. When are we getting broadband I asked Eircom eagerly. "Next spring". 11 springs later, no hope in sight.

We now have a Three mast which has been ok but lately the signal has been very patchy. Lots of complaints all over the Three forum about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭clohamon

Pleased to hear that my exchange is not the only one still waiting for ADSL. I moved here in 2002. When are we getting broadband I asked Eircom eagerly. "Next spring". 11 springs later, no hope in sight.

We now have a Three mast which has been ok but lately the signal has been very patchy. Lots of complaints all over the Three forum about it.

Have you any information on North West Electronics coverage up there. Has it improved over recent years? Did you ever try them?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CelticTigress

clohamon wrote: »
    Have you any information on North West Electronics coverage up there. Has it improved over recent years? Did you ever try them?

Hi Clohamon. They beefed up their mast and took on a rake of new customers. I had just signed up with 3 when that happened (amazing how a new mast half a mile away concentrates the mind of a provider) so I didn't try them. At the time I was happy with 3 and to be honest, it has been absolutely fine until the last 2 or 3 weeks. Now I think they've probably got a waiting list again. People seem to be happy enough with them.

Advertisement