Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personally Identifying Private Messages

Options
  • 11-07-2013 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've recently become more paranoid about personally identifying information about me on boards.ie. I have sent some private messages in the past that contain my personal information. Some of these were to company reps in the "Talk to" section and one or two to normal users.

Is there anything I can do about this? Can I request that the private messages be deleted from the recipient's inbox if they still exist?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If you mean perhaps intervention such as the devs deleting them direct from the database, then that's essentially ruled out.

You could of course just ask the individual recipients to do so, but they're not obliged to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

I feared as much. I did indeed mean direct intervention.

I take it this means that personally identifying information that I have included in pms is outside of both my control and boards.ie control and is now in the hands of the receiver.

I can understand why this is but am a bit disappointed because I would prefer not to contact some of the individual receivers.

If I were to close my account would my sent pms still remain in other people's inboxes?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Direct intervention means assigning developer time to run queries against the database directly. It's not a trivial task, and would need a correspondingly serious reason to do so.

Closing an account would have no impact on the PMs.

Since there's a fair argument that this would be in the realm of data protection, I'd suggest emailing the office at hello at boards.ie. It's possible there's a happy medium here that I'm not aware of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

Thanks Spear. There is no immediate reason for direct intervention as I don't believe there is an imminent risk of my personal details being exploited or compromised. The reason I started this thread is because the information is out there and I'd like to mitigate against any future exploitation. I presume if a pressing need presents itself I could give a reason and request the developer time be assigned to remove these messages (I think there are 3 in total).

In the interim I will email the office with a query and they may be able to develop some sort of protocol or system to aid this type of data protection issue.

Thanks,
    Drift

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement