Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should over 65's be allowed to vote?

Options
  • 11-07-2013 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭

An idle thought came to mind this morning whilst driving to work: we only allow those above 18 (until the upcoming referendum at least) the power of the vote on the grounds that those not of the age of majority are considered to not have sufficient maturity to vote wisely.

Would it make sense to exclude those above the age of retirement from voting on the grounds that their interests being short-term ensures they don't vote wisely? We've seen pensioners emerge from the recession without losing any meaningful amount of the entitlements thrown to them by the corrupt party they kept in power.

Perhaps if we restricted the vote to those of working age only (i.e. those who pay the vast majority of taxes) it might encourage more sensible government?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Oy - 65 is the retirement age for some only.

If you are in the private sector, and if your pension plan has shrunk, you gotta keep working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sleepy wrote: »
    An idle thought came to mind this morning whilst driving to work: we only allow those above 18 (until the upcoming referendum at least) the power of the vote on the grounds that those not of the age of majority are considered to not have sufficient maturity to vote wisely.

Would it make sense to exclude those above the age of retirement from voting on the grounds that their interests being short-term ensures they don't vote wisely? We've seen pensioners emerge from the recession without losing any meaningful amount of the entitlements thrown to them by the corrupt party they kept in power.

Perhaps if we restricted the vote to those of working age only (i.e. those who pay the vast majority of taxes) it might encourage more sensible government?

As your average checking out age is now into the 80s for both men and women and a number that's going to get larger it would hardly be right to talk about short term - only shorter term. The only thing wrong with the grey vote is that the political establishment is scared of its presumed collective power.

Get over that and its not an issue how many of them there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The vast majority of 65 year olds have more concern for the long term than most 18 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Over 65's would live another 15-20 years on average nowadays. They may only have interests in themselves in the short term but the majority would be voting for the interests in their children and grandchildren.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Eogclouder

The Majority have worked and paid taxes their entire lives and you want to take away their right to have a say?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Very arrogant to assume that the over 65's are not considering the future that their children and grandchildren will inherit, in my experience over 65's are not self absorbed as to look only to their own specific short term gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Eogclouder wrote: »
    The Majority have worked and paid taxes their entire lives and you want to take away their right to have a say?

It's this sense of entitlement that makes me understand where the OP is coming from. I've worked and paid taxes since I was 13 and I have 3 young children but I'm fair game?

The attitude "I've worked and paid taxes all my life" is the sort of attitude that says "I'm only thinking of me".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There's more to active participation than paying taxes.

I fact, there are three obligations that spring to mind: obey the laws; contribute financially (pay taxes); participate in decision making (vote).

The cynic in me wonders why failure to fulfill the first two leaves one open to penalty, but the third (selecting the decision makers) is one's own choice. I'd almost think it suits governments to only have habitual voters voting...

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Eogclouder

omahaid wrote: »
    It's this sense of entitlement that makes me understand where the OP is coming from. I've worked and paid taxes since I was 13 and I have 3 young children but I'm fair game?

The attitude "I've worked and paid taxes all my life" is the sort of attitude that says "I'm only thinking of me".

Is anyone talking about removing your right to vote? What are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

As a 21 year old I'd trust someone 65+ significantly more to vote in the best interests of the country rather than their own. People my age don't give a shít for the most part what policy is imposed as long as it doesn't negatively effect them (student fees protests for example) or isn't majorly topical such as the current abortion legislation. The majority of people my age are very apathetic towards politics and often will just vote what their parents are voting. On the other end of the spectrum, you've a very vocal minority of youth who take a huge interest in politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Would it make sense to exclude those above the age of retirement from voting on the grounds that their interests being short-term ensures they don't vote wisely?

Over 65s only have short-term interests? Wow, I don't know what ridiculously young age you're planning on kicking the bucket at, but... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The Over 65s get more handed to them on a plate than any other group in this country.

But having said that........suggesting that they be denied the vote is daft. Just daft. Just so daft that I'm not even going to get into a debate about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

An idle thought came to mind this morning

Next time wait till it's in gear.

And who paid taxes and kept the country ticking over while you were in nappies?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The Over 65s get more handed to them on a plate than any other group in this country.

But having said that........suggesting that they be denied the vote is daft. Just daft. Just so daft that I'm not even going to get into a debate about it.

I am well into my seventies. Still working. Where, please, can I find this plate on which more will be handed to me?

I have a better question.

Should people who vote for political parties be allowed to vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Over 65 should be allowed to vote. It's quite ignorant to assume that all over 65's are the same, and vote for the short term and don't think about anyone but themselves. I'm sure a lot of them vote for the future of Ireland, not just themselves. But even if that were the case, they are entitled to vote for whatever reason they want.

Plus, you could make the same case for a lot of people under 65 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Make it over 80's (like the pope voting) and I'd agree with you OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

The older people don't have long to live and tend to think more about the future of the world rather than just themselves. They don't always get it right in my view, but they are certainly not self-centered. I really don't know what got you thinking that TC.

Even if it were true, you can't exclude people from voting "on the basis that... <some supposed rationale>". That goes against everything democracy is supposed to be. I think you should do a little more filtering on the next idle thoughts that pop into your head in the morning. Take it handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

I agree with opening poster, only why stop at 65?
    Lets remove the right to vote from everyone that way we all can be screwed even more:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Make it over 80's (like the pope voting) and I'd agree with you OP.
    And what would then stop the politicians targeting the over 80s and reducing pensions / reducing benfits?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

And what would then stop the politicians targeting the over 80s and reducing pensions / reducing benfits?

The goodness of their hearts? :rolleyes:

I find it amazing how a lot of old politicians seem to have contempt for the ordinary elderly, you'd think they would feel for them a bit more being nearly at that age themselves. Their own pensions won't last forever... oh wait.

Advertisement