Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VBA

Options
  • 11-07-2013 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Is it possible to learn VBA without be adept at excel ?

I'm new to programming, did a bit of python. Actually the basics but stopped now due to job applications but going back to it soon.

I'm from a finance background and hoping to move into mid-quant/ statistical analysis/ trading position in a few years time.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Is it possible to learn VBA without be adept at excel ?

Yes, absolutely.

I used to be quite adept at VBA while barely knowing how to use formulas in Excel. It's very much worth knowing the built in functionality in Excel too, it can do a hell of a lot of useful and interesting stuff without writing any VBA code, and the most effective VBA code you'll write will be stuff that works with the built in functionality as much as possible. But you can pick up a lot of that as you are learning VBA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

stevenmu wrote: »
    Yes, absolutely.

I used to be quite adept at VBA while barely knowing how to use formulas in Excel. It's very much worth knowing the built in functionality in Excel too, it can do a hell of a lot of useful and interesting stuff without writing any VBA code, and the most effective VBA code you'll write will be stuff that works with the built in functionality as much as possible. But you can pick up a lot of that as you are learning VBA.

Thanks, I played with VBA for the first time last night and I found it interesting.

How many hours should I devote to learning it each week ?

Advertisement