Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full time score question

Options
  • 10-07-2013 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭

A very odd thing happened tonight at a game. The referee blew the final whistle and told both sets of teams the final score. A draw match was his result. He left the field went to the showers and about 15mins later informed one team that they had won by a point. Can a referee do that once he has called the final score ?

Dont think i've ever seen that at a game before

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

A very odd thing happened tonight at a game. The referee blew the final whistle and told both sets of teams the final score. A draw match was his result. He left the field went to the showers and about 15mins later informed one team that they had won by a point. Can a referee do that once he has called the final score ?

Dont think i've ever seen that at a game before

I dont know if he can do that.

But he absolutely should not be able to do it. What if one team were hanging on for a draw when they should be attacing looking for an equaliser?! The whole context of a match is governed by what the score is at that particular time.

That game should be replayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I dont know if he can do that.

But he absolutely should not be able to do it. What if one team were hanging on for a draw when they should be attacing looking for an equaliser?! The whole context of a match is governed by what the score is at that particular time.

That game should be replayed.

I've never seen anything like it anyway. Is there a rule around this sort of thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Bad referees have been the biggest problem in the GAA for years.
    Surely a referee cannot do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Bad referees have been the biggest problem in the GAA for years.
    Surely a referee cannot do that.

I dont think you can automatically assume he is a bad referee over 1 incident like this. I'm sure it can be tricky to keep track of the score with a lot going on in the match and could be a genuine mistake.

Good referees make mistakes all the time. There is no referee that will ever be 100% perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

No the Ref cant do that.

Sure when Cooney blew early with Clare and Offaly in.98 it had to be replayed as the rules were not adhered to.

Both teams need to be aware of the score at all times as the score dictates the state of play.

Was it a Junior game???football or hurling.
    What game was it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Yes. The referee sends a report to the county board and they then award the game to the relevant team based on the referees report...

I dont think you can automatically assume he is a bad referee over 1 incident like this. I'm sure it can be tricky to keep track of the score with a lot going on in the match and could be a genuine mistake.

Good referees make mistakes all the time. There is no referee that will ever be 100% perfect.
    Their is a mistake and a mistake.The score is actually crucial to a game in all fairness.

Thats what he has hes pen and note book for.Keeping the correct score
    is not rocket science but a basic requirment.
    If he can not keep the correct score he should not be a referee.

No the Ref cant do that.

Sure when Cooney blew early with Clare and Offaly in.98 it had to be replayed as the rules were not adhered to.

Both teams need to be aware of the score at all times as the score dictates the state of play.

Was it a Junior game???football or hurling.
    What game was it??

It was a football match, a promotion decider. The result was a crucial one. He told both teams the final score was 1-11 apiece at the end and 20 mins later it was 1-10 to 1-09. If he acknowledges that he made a mistake and changes the result so long after final whistle, will county board stand by his report ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Since when is the ref the only person to keep the score..usually the selectors and other people at the match have the score written down and notes made of who scored. Did anyone not wonder where the 3 extra points came from?

It was a football match, a promotion decider. The result was a crucial one. He told both teams the final score was 1-11 apiece at the end and 20 mins later it was 1-10 to 1-09. If he acknowledges that he made a mistake and changes the result so long after final whistle, will county board stand by his report ?
    Once he admits it was a mistake it should be replayed.
    What county did this happen.in??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Didn't have to be replayed I don't think. Clare offered the replay I believe on the basis Colin Lynch would be cleared to play

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

What was the actual score? There's no way in a match like that that the ref was the only one keeping score. Was the incorrect score only conveyed at full time or during the match aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

This happened to us at an underage game before, he called us half an hour afterwards to let us know we had went from winning to losing the game. We complained to the county board but to no avail.

I was particularly annoyed as I'd scored the final point to win the game :P

EDIT: I just remembered that it also happened to my club a few years previously where the referee took us from a win to a draw after the game. In both cases I believe they were in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

This is not exactly unique and happens far too often, basically whatever goes in the referees report will be the final result, unless the benificary team offer a replay.

This is not exactly unique and happens far too often, basically whatever goes in the referees report will be the final result, unless the benificary team offer a replay.

That won't happen anyway. I actually thought he got the score right in the end but the annoying thing was he told several players during the last couple of mins they were a point down. They went down and kicked what they thought was the equaliser. It was a chance at a goal but he took his point to make sure if the draw.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sorry for the bump, but the '98 Semi Final was replayed because the game wasn't able to be completed due to outside forces, the third game was announced as having all proceeds donates to the Omagh fund with half price tickets, Clare didn't object to the replay on the understanding that Lynch's appeal would have been successful (still can't understand how it wasn't) and because they couldn't really object cause of rule being used and the good cause.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Hold on, a player can make 20 mistakes in a game, yet a referee cannot?? Its very easy to miss a score in a game - keeper taking a quick kick out after a score and you have to move to get into the best position forget to put down a score. It is easily done - my question is how come all the selectors, umpires, crowd didn't realise the score was wrong earlier???

The referee reports the score, and its up to the committee in charge to award the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Hold on, a player can make 20 mistakes in a game, yet a referee cannot?? Its very easy to miss a score in a game - keeper taking a quick kick out after a score and you have to move to get into the best position forget to put down a score. It is easily done - my question is how come all the selectors, umpires, crowd didn't realise the score was wrong earlier???
    The referee reports the score, and its up to the committee in charge to award the game.

There was obviously no official scoreboard being used so what they thought the score was is completley irrelevant. they would have had no reason to think that the score they believed to be correct was different from that in the referees notebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

This is a really, really strange argument.

As the referee reports the score, he would want to be absolutely sure he is right. There is no room for mistakes anywhere in this. Nothing other than 100% accuracy is acceptable. You can't equate an error like this with a mistake a player might make in general play.

Lots of lower level matches around the country don't have an official scoreboard. If several different people at a match have one score and the referee has a different one, he would have to be very arrogant to believe that he alone was correct. I don't understand how you expected everyone else at the game to know that the ref had the wrong score before the final whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭bren2001

Martin567 wrote: »

As the referee reports the score, he would want to be absolutely sure he is right. There is no room for mistakes anywhere in this. Nothing other than 100% accuracy is acceptable. You can't equate an error like this with a mistake a player might make in general play.

Lots of lower level matches around the country don't have an official scoreboard. If several different people at a match have one score and the referee has a different one, he would have to be very arrogant to believe that he alone was correct. I don't understand how you expected everyone else at the game to know that the ref had the wrong score before the final whistle.

Not too long ago I played a match where both teams shook hands believing it was a draw. Mangers shook hands and both had the same score. The ref said that the other team won by a point. Their manager proceeded to say he added up his score incorrectly and in fact they had won by a point. Raised the issue at the county board meeting, they looked at the referee report and told us to go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

It happened in Galway last year at a Junior A 1/4 final, except the ref awarded the match to the wrong team because he wrongly recorded a score for the actual losers when it should have gone to the actual winners.

The "winners" offered a replay because the same ref had cost them a match before under the same circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

It would be a good idea for every club, no matter how small, to invest in a scoreboard of some sort. It doesn't have to be that expensive, something fairly basic would suffice.

That way, everyone would know the score as the match progressed and if the ref had a different score surely he would let someone know before the final whistle. It would also make it easier to pinpoint where the confusion arose as an incorrect score would hardly be allowed to remain on the board for too long. In the situation described, the error by the referee could potentially have carried all the way from the beginning of the game without anyone knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

It would be a good idea for every club, no matter how small, to invest in a scoreboard of some sort. It doesn't have to be that expensive, something fairly basic would suffice.

That way, everyone would know the score as the match progressed and if the ref had a different score surely he would let someone know before the final whistle. It would also make it easier to pinpoint where the confusion arose as an incorrect score would hardly be allowed to remain on the board for too long. In the situation described, the error by the referee could potentially have carried all the way from the beginning of the game without anyone knowing.

The ref is generally asked to confirm the score at half time (I do it at every match I'm on the sideline for), so that scenario is unlikely.

As for every club having a scoreboard, every club also has the problem of having an operator present. I operated a temporary scoreboard a few years ago for feile on a cold wet day and I gotta tell you I won't be doing it again in a hurry.

I've been the coordinator for leagues in u14 league and feile u16 league and championship this year so far. At the final whistle both teams are supposed to text me the final score and the referee texts the final score to the county pro so he/she can update the website. Without fail in nearly every game i will see three different scores for the same game. Some scorelines you would think it was a completely different fixture. Referee reports the final score and it doesn't matter what anyone else has. It all ended ok in end as lads secured promotion in final game :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's no such thing as an offical scoreboard by the way, just a scoreboard, doesn't matter what the scoreboard in the stadium says its whatever the ref says goes, in bigger games there will be a forth offical keeping an eye on subs, time and scores to help the ref out.

I was at a big match in Cusack Park a couple of years ago (league playoff against Limerick I think) and I had to shout up to the scoreboard keeper that they had the score wrong. Personally, considering all the games out there and the level of officaldom that goes on I think it's amazing that there aren't more mistakes made.

Advertisement