Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Irish Telephone Boxes

Options
  • 10-07-2013 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of locations with the old concrete Irish Telephones box still in place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Thread here with some information: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056506063 . There's one still in Dawson Street I think, but it's of the rarer K1 variety rather than the typical concrete type which was the forerunner of the shower cabinets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Theres one in Malin town in donegal. I think the locals maintain it as a structure but there is no telephone actually in it...i think.

stock-photo-telephone-booth-malin-county-donegal-ireland-65555917.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

There is a 'K1' phonebox in Foxrock, Dublin also. I did see a couple of the concrete ones and the older black steel ones when I was in Kerry earlier in the year. Plenty of towns along the ring of Kerry never received the upgrades!

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    There is a 'K1' phonebox in Foxrock, Dublin also. I did see a couple of the concrete ones and the older black steel ones when I was in Kerry earlier in the year. Plenty of towns along the ring of Kerry never received the upgrades!

Nick

K1%2BFOXROCK.JPG
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76447057&postcount=18

I was surprised to see quite a few of these old style phoneboxes dotted along the ring of Kerry on a trip a few weeks back.
    Not seen any around in many years and I thought most had been replaced back in '99/'00 era iirc.
    Good memories finding used Callcards in this particular style box (there used to be a wide gap on top of the phone mount which people slid used cards in). Sorry for rambling off topic :pac:

Nick

• Advertisement

It's a pity that they didn't keep some of the concrete boxes for heritage towns like Killarney but the day of the Irish public telephonebox is well and truly over.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

It's a pity that they didn't keep some of the concrete boxes for heritage towns like Killarney but the day of the Irish public telephonebox is well and truly over.

It's a pity but I don't think something like this would work in Ireland, chances are they'd get destroyed or have everything nicked from them:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1232331/The-red-phone-box-Britains-smallest-library.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Blade wrote: »
    It's a pity but I don't think something like this would work in Ireland, chances are they'd get destroyed or have everything nicked from them:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1232331/The-red-phone-box-Britains-smallest-library.html [/QUOTE]

I love the typically British 'thinking outside the box' (pardon the pun)

They'd end up serving as public conveniences in Killarney, after closing time, unless you kept them locked.

Adorning the front of todays' Tidy Towns Report - Moynalty - and to the right of the picture can clearly be seen a nicely restored P+T phonebox. :)

Moynalty+Phonebox.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Oaky8

I have done quite a lot of research into irish P&T phoneboxes lately as Myself and my brother in law are currently restoring two of them (just started yesterday) , there are still some on our streets, if you go onto street view on google maps they can be seen in castletownsend cork, Main Street chapelizod Dublin, and fenagh Leitrim and of course moynalty meath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Oaky8 wrote: »
    I have done quite a lot of research into irish P&T phoneboxes lately as Myself and my brother in law are currently restoring two of them (just started yesterday) , there are still some on our streets, if you go onto street view on google maps they can be seen in castletownsend cork, Main Street chapelizod Dublin, and fenagh Leitrim and of course moynalty meath.

Word to the wise, Google maps isn't current, it's a couple of years old the views you're looking at.
    No doubt some will be preserved by tidy towns or bought by the local pub or an interested person as a curio, but I'd imagine only a tiny number will be left in situ doing the job they were intended to do.

A couple of those are Cardphones, do they even sell Phonecards now or is it all credit cards currently???

Word to the wise, Google maps isn't current, it's a couple of years old the views you're looking at.
    No doubt some will be preserved by tidy towns or bought by the local pub or an interested person as a curio, but I'd imagine only a tiny number will be left in situ doing the job they were intended to do.

A couple of those are Cardphones, do they even sell Phonecards now or is it all credit cards currently???

You can still buy Callcards in Dublin city centre. Some Bus Stop newsagents and the GPO have them I've been told recently. But I would imagine the use of Callcards in phoneboxes nowadays would be very unlikely, although tourists may use them to avoid roaming charges and they offer better value than paying cash in a payphone.
    Also the Eircom public phones are card/coin hybrids, so you can use either method to call in these phoneboxes. I did find a Eircom Callcard in the phonebox across from Tesco in Ranelagh in May this year, so they must still work fine! (no idea where it came from though, none of the shops in the area have had them for years!).

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sloe gal

Can I ask what paint colours and brand of paint you use on the phone boxes?

I have one I want to touch up and don't want to get it wronh

Advertisement