Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish Automotive career?

Options
  • 10-07-2013 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm considering working in the motor industry in the future once I'm finished studying and I was hoping some of you out there in industry wouldn't mind giving some insight into what your jobs are like, such as daily duties, salary/ wages, your role (sales, technician, parts, manager, senior manager), what type of dealer your work in? etc.

I know things are tough out there but I'm still interested to hear about other peoples experiences and career progression.

I've done some googling and there's some decent info on UK motor industry careers and roles but next to nothing for Ireland. So I thought I'd try and get it from the horses mouth right here.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭scooters

Motor industry in Ireland is almost on its knees. Uk motor trade is so different due tothe large population and easier finance avaliability. Most start off positions in dealerships will only pay 19-21k which is what you could earn working in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shankespony

Don't ! crap hours & wages, too many unprofessional people and egos, when the economy goes down the plughole nobody buys cars. Choose a sector that's less prone to downturn imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

scooters wrote: »
    Motor industry in Ireland is almost on its knees. Uk motor trade is so different due tothe large population and easier finance avaliability. Most start off positions in dealerships will only pay 19-21k which is what you could earn working in Tesco.

Indeed. i spend a time as service manager at a main Hyundai dealership earning a tidy €8.56 per hour.

when i was eventually let go (i returned to full time education) but work as a shelf packer in tesco and earn €11.70 per hour.

that said i loved every minute i spend within the motor industry and i worked for a tyre center and earned more p/h that in Hyundai so maybe they were just tight.

its a very difficult time to try get a start in the industry at the moment. prospects don't appear excellent either if i'm honest. but if it interests you, the bottom line should be, go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

you were a service "manager" on 8.56euro an hour? Our Service manager is on a very very good salary, I just cant see him being on minimum wage with his daily duties somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I know a service adviser who's on better money than minimum wage. Although it wouldn't surprise me in the auto trade. Serious amount of dealerships expect you to work for nothing and just be happy you have a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

you were a service "manager" on 8.56euro an hour? Our Service manager is on a very very good salary, I just cant see him being on minimum wage with his daily duties somehow

i spent a year under the previous service manager as his trainee as he was looking to leave the job and the garage wanted a smooth transition for customers etc. then i was out on my own after that. i was young at the time so the wage reflected my age/ experience. it was also at the beginning of the "recession" as we know it, so it may have suited to take on someone slightly less seasoned for a lower wage.

there were nights i sat at home though and thought i did carry responsibility and bull**** way beyond my minimum wage. i enjoyed it immensely none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Don't ! crap hours & wages, too many unprofessional people and egos, when the economy goes down the plughole nobody buys cars. Choose a sector that's less prone to downturn imo.

Ridiculous statement to make. People do indeed buy cars during the downturn just they don't buy as many or the type of cars previously.

Dealers like Hyundai/Kia and Renault/Dacia would be in quite a strong position in Ireland I'd have thought.

Also OP don't base your profession on what happens during a downturn, look for work that makes you happy and do something you like. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

166man wrote: »
    Also OP don't base your profession on what happens during a downturn, look for work that makes you happy and do something you like. :)

As much as I'd usually agree here, I don't think it's as straightforward anymore to just say do what you want. Look at everyone that was in construction as a prime example.

You can do what you like alright, but at the end of the day you might not have a job because of that choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shankespony

166MAN, i respect your point its a pity you can't accept mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

Some mention of low pay here, It's something I would expect starting from the bottom but you'd hope to see an increase at some point after a promotion or two.

Seems like it's 50/50 with regard to job satisfaction on here. Anyone here work with the big boys like Joe Duffy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I teach the son of a guy who owns a dealership in the North. Apparently that's where the money is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

it is low paying as in general the work is very straight forward and anyone can do it. When you become a manager with real responsibilities the salary is decent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

As much as I'd usually agree here, I don't think it's as straightforward anymore to just say do what you want. Look at everyone that was in construction as a prime example.

You can do what you like alright, but at the end of the day you might not have a job because of that choice.

The construction industry was out of hand. We won't see anything like that for quite some time. If picking apart turbo's is what makes you happy, look to work in that field, if selling cars is your thing you can do that and if you like it, chances are you're good at it, there fore you'll make good money at it.

If you work hard enough you'll get the job doing what you like, it may take time, cost and effort but if it's what you want, those that really want it will work for it and they will get it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Parts manager or service manager you can expect around 40-45k + benefits.
    Service advisor 25-29
    Parts advisor 22-25

All obviously depending on experience.

Take my advice...try a different career.

Advertisement